Thursday, July 2, 2009

A Public Service Warning

To the check-out people at Cub, Target, Home Depot, Hallmark, the Post Office, Michaels, the crazy lady at JoAnn Fabrics, and any other place I might visit in the next six weeks:

I realize I am pregnant.  I realize that this requires you to strike up a conversation about it.  I have no problem with you asking when I'm due, or whether it's a boy or a girl.  

However, I do not need to know how big your babies were when they were born.  I don't need to know your life story when it comes to birthing your children.  You don't need to make comments like "Oh girl, how are you going to survive if you're this big already?" or "Are you having a monster?".  I know I'm large.  I know I'm "all baby" in the front.  I've come to terms with the fact that my baby is going to be slightly smaller than King Kong.  I already feel uncomfortable and self-conscious.  You don't need to point it out.  I'm well aware of it.   

You are a stranger.  You don't need to make me feel bad when I am shopping to fulfill my nesting instinct.  You can wish me well and get on to the next customer.  You don't need to continue the conversation while I pack up my groceries. 

If this continues, I will be required to check out at registers manned by males, who no doubt don't care how big I am or will dare ask any questions regarding my pregnancy.  

Thank you for your time.

5 comments:

Pokmom said...

You look just PERFECT!!!!! those people are just ignorant...here is a comback for them......"i may be big now, and in 6 weeks this baby will be out...but you're ugly and in 6 weeks you will still be ugly!!" so who wins!!

It will all be worth it when you hold that beautiful little baby in your arms!!!!

Mitch said...

You could go with the always popular, "Does your face hurt? Because it's killing me."

Thanks to Big Poke.

Jersey Girl said...

I think it might be a good idea to send a copy of this to all the store managers who have employed these insensitive idiots!! Let them know that you may choose to shop elsewhere unless the harassment stops immediately!!
In 6 weeks you can bring Thor with you and he/she can give those cashiers what for!!
I do love Big Poke's comeback!!
Hang in there, Tina, you look great! Don't let the turkeys get you down!!

Anonymous said...

I always loved the "Are you having twins?" or "Your gonna have a 3 year old." I got those a lot. I feel your pain but before you know it you will be holding your beautiful baby and forget about all those losers.
-Nicole F.

Anonymous said...

You know, you aren't even that big!! I have no idea what these morons are talking about!! And that's the truth!! You really do look great and my gosh, you are due NEXT month!!
Never give anybody that kind of power over your feelings.

Geebs