One of the things that Mitch and I are debating is what movie to watch when little Thor makes his debut. We want to start his/her life out on the right foot, and clearly the correct cinematic choice will have a great impact on his future choices and tastes. Here are the seven nominees, with a quick argument for each one:
- #1 - A Christmas Story - a Poke family favorite, no Christmas is complete without quoting every single line from this classic. Thor best learn his lines quickly!
- #2 - True Illini Spirit - there's nothing wrong with starting to develop those Illini roots early. Especially if Thor is wearing his Illini onesie.
- #3 - Rent - one of Tina's favorite musicals, it is important to cultivate Thor's love of the theatre early. Nevermind that the content is clearly inappropriate for one-day-olds, the songs are great!
- #4 - Anchorman - if the kid wants to be funny, he's got to start watching Will Ferrell movies. Might as well start with a classic.
- #5 - Double Feature Casino Royale/Goldfinger - Mitch loves the James Bond movies, I hate them. Our first real date was to a Bond movie (I didn't really care what we saw, I just wanted to go out on the date!). I only hope that Thor can love them as much as his daddy does.
- #6 - Minnesota Twins '87 and '91 World Series - this is another Mitch pick - you really can't live in the Twin Cities unless you love the Twins. It's practically grounds for revoking your residency. The Cities love to live in the past when the Twins were great and Kirby Puckett wasn't fat (or dead).
- #7 - Chicago Bears Super Bowl Shuffle - speaking of living in the past, Thor will need to learn all the cool moves of Jim McMahon, Walter Payton, and the Fridge if he plans on being a Bears fan (which he does). Plus, there's nothing better than watching Gary Fencik play a fake saxophone.
Cast your votes now in the comments section!
11 comments:
Twins fans are living in the past?!? You Bears fans are in total denial. At least the Twins have won 2 championships SINCE the Bears won the Super Bowl. If the Cubs ever win the World Series the entire city of Chicago will be sucked into a black hole of pompous egotism! (Credit to my friend Prestwooderson for that line)
I vote for Anchorman. "What the hell bro? Did you just hit me with a burrito?"
I'm going to go with a total sports theme here and say True Illini Spirit (which, BTW, can I borrow? Sounds intriguing!), the Twins World Series, and Da Bears Super Bowl Shuffle. That way everyone is well represented and perhaps the heavy athletic themed cinematic introductions will increase the chance for that much needed (athletic) scholarship to the best school in all the land. I would say Rent, but something tells me Thor has had lots of in utero exposure to the musical genre over the past 36 weeks.
Whatever you pick though it's much more appropriate than some of The General's choices. The Elway highlight video? No big deal. The sounds of Pulp Fiction echoing down a labor & delivery unit hallway? Not so much.
PS - Is one of the FBZ features going to be which snacks you should take to keep Mitch's blood sugar regulated while you're in labor? Better add that to the list if you haven't already!
I know this is unrelated to this post, but check out what I just found:
http://faithworksboutique.com/item_217/Orange-N-Blue-Headband.htm
Just what Thor needs if (but not likely) he's a she!
You will not have TIME or ENERGY to watch a movie in the hospital! Sorry to break it to you...but I would vote for Rent.
--Lizzie McGuire
P.S. Mitch I sense some sports-related anger management issues. The Badgers & Packers trump both Minnesota AND Illinois teams, sorry! And Wisconsin also make the best beer ever!
Top Gun.
Honestly, Mitch, if you're going to watch James Bond with Thor...you need to start at the beginning with Dr. No!! Everyone knows you have to go in order...then he/she will know who the REAL James Bond is. None of this Daniel Craig business!!
I vote for something with lots of great music in it...like Dirty Dancing or Dirty Dancing!!
You might have time to watch them all if you have an all day long labor like me. We watch HGTV "ALL" day. I could have built a deck while I was in labor. Being a lover of the arts I say RENT. Then perhaps the double feature...I do enjoy a good Bond flick thanks to my dad making us watch them as a kid.
-Wilma
You absolutely CANNOT go wrong with Anchorman or the Bond double feature.
I think the choice of movies in the Bond "baby collection" is very appropriate. I wouldn't want Thor to fixate on Sean Connery as "the ideal Bond" and therefore miss out on the qualities that other actors have brought to the character. Let's cultivate a sense of open-mindedness and responsibility from Day 1! The Bond community appreciates your efforts.
Here's another suggestion: Days of Thunder. Cole Trickle was a fighter!
I don't like any of your picks!! Top Gun is a great choice, as is Dirty Dancing..you need something with some great music to keep your mind off your labor pains...maybe Chicago, great music with an illinois touch...or Caddy shack is always good for laughs or.... if we must go with one of your picks i would have to say Chistmas Story....that little girl is not going to want to come out if she has to listen to sports stuff right off the bat!
These are the movies we plan to have on hand for watching post-delivery. We have a separate pile of ones to watch before/during the delivery!
I originally suggested a Bond 6-movie marathon (one from each actor to portray 007) but settled on the double feature.
I think you should include Twilight in your movie list. If it is a boy, he will need to learn how to sparkle and not eat people. If it is a girl, she will need to learn the signs to look for when falling in love with a possible vampire.
Post a Comment