Monday, August 10, 2009

Baby Update

Well, it looks as though Thor is not in any hurry to leave the womb.  As of 9:00 this morning, I was still not dilated at all.  It's a rather large understatement to say that I am frustrated, uncomfortable, and not looking forward to the potential of this pregnancy lasting any longer.  And Mitch is feeling the same way.  Why doesn't baby Thor want to come out and play?

According to the doc, if I haven't delivered by next Monday (my next scheduled appt), she's going to give it a few more days and then do some tests to make sure the baby is still thriving in his/her environment (placenta and amniotic fluid are still looking good), which would be right at 41 weeks.  She'd also start to give me drugs in order to induce a few days later.  If this worst-case scenario happens (please God, don't let it!), Thor would not arrive until Monday the 24th.  

I don't think my patience and my body can make it that long.  It might be time for a good, long, cry.  

So, I've decided it's time to take things into my own hands.  This week I will be doing everything humanly possible to get this baby out.  Walking is at the top of my list - it seems to get those Braxton-Hicks contractions going, and it's good for me.  If this doesn't start those contractions, I might have to resort to really extreme measures.  

Any suggestions?    

9 comments:

jen said...

My son (baby # 2) decided to arrive after the due date (when baby #1 was nearly 2 weeks early--just about killed me) and I tried lots of Wii Sports, specifically tennis and baseball. Sending you lots of water-breaking, membrane rupturing thoughts!!

SouthCove said...

This is unrelated to your post, but I just looked at the map you have on the blog (the one tracking how many people have looked at it and where they're from). Who is reading the blog from Lebanon?!?

Anonymous said...

HANG IN THERE! I know you don't want to hear this but I was 3 wks over with both the MRS. and Poke. I remember crying especially with Poke and I had been dialated 2 back at Thanksgiving (he didn't arrive until Jan 14) On my last Dr. visit he said I don't know why the baby hasn't come yet, go home, take 2 tablespoons of Castor Oil and I WILL see you tonight. Poke arrived about 3 hours after I took the oil, and only 1 hour from start to finish. SO, the moral of the story, Let nature take it's course, try to relax and I am hoping Thor will come with little labor, he'll just Pop out. Both of mine did! Will be waiting for the call. Auntie M.

Pokmom said...

I second the castor oil...i hear it never fails...but wait until your due date at least!!!! Can't wait...just try to relax and enjoy the last silence in your house!!!!

Mitch said...

Megan - it's Alessandro, from Alessandro's.

The Mrs. said...

I heard if Castor oil doesn't bring on labor not only will you still be pregnant but you'll also have a raging case of diarrhea. I think I'd rather stay pregnant.

Walking, spicy food, the dirty deed, nipple stimulation, evening primrose oil, sitting/bouncing on a birthing ball...all reported to induce labor naturally with mixed results. Has your dr. talked about stripping your membranes at your next appointment?

And if Thor doesn't make his appearance today he & I are going to have words.

Tina said...

Mrs - she was going to strip them this last week, but can't even get in there because I'm all closed up like a freaking oyster. And I wanted Thor to come today, too, for a couple of reasons, but alas, I don't think it is meant to be.

I did log over an hour's worth of walking today, though! (And have the Braxton-Hicks to prove it!)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Tina said...

Sorry, Anonymous, but my Grama reads this blog! :) Thanks for the advice!