In the fall/winter of 2002, Mitch and I hosted a friend of ours from college and her husband for dinner. We had just gotten married, and were living in our new townhouse in Plainfield. As "new" adults, we liked to host people at the house and entertain, and this occasion was no different. Because it was a weeknight, I needed a meal that was easy to prepare, and so I decided to make chili.
I called my mom for her chili recipe (because I like hers the best), mixed it up, and put it in my brand-new, never-been-used crock pot before I went to work. I was so excited to come home with the house smelling like chili, and was shocked when I opened the door and the house smelled like something was burning. I went to the crock pot, and sadly, the chili was crispy. I'm not sure if I didn't have enough liquid or what (Mitch is convinced I turned it on too high), but the whole batch was fused to the crock pot. I couldn't even scrape it off the sides, so I ended up throwing the whole thing, crock pot included, away, and ordered pizza.
Since the "chili incident" as I now refer to it, I have been afraid to make chili for fear that I would burn it and ruin another crock pot. However, I have been craving chili something awful lately (such is the case for pregnant ladies), and decided to chance it yesterday. I was off work, and decided this would be the best time to make it, since I could be at home in case it started to burn. So, I dumped all of the ingredients into the crock pot, simmered and stirred, and here's how it turned out -
I was relieved to know that I'm not a total idiot when making chili, and look forward to making this comfort food often now!
2 comments:
The chili looks great, what else are you craving?! I think there must be something special about "Mom's chili" because my favorite chili is my Mom's recipe as well! Have a Great New Year's Eve!
Mark and I were that couple...wow, that was quite a few years ago now! I'm glad you 'got back on the horse'!
Post a Comment