On Monday I subbed in a 6th grade English classroom. Sadly, they weren't learning anything nearly as interesting as sex ed, and instead we shared what they did over their Thanksgiving break. This is something they do every Monday, and I was very impressed at how considerate and patient the students were as they waited their turn to speak, then listened to others tell their tales of food, movies, hockey, and sleeping. And it took almost the whole period, which from a sub's perspective was even better.
The most interesting part of this classroom, however, was one little boy who sat in the very front row. He honestly looked EXACTLY like Ralphie from "A Christmas Story" - blond hair, thick glasses, round face complete with chubby cheeks, looks like he's always in thought (I'm sure dreaming about b-b guns).

After he gets done telling everyone his Thanksgiving story, we have a brief exchange:
Mrs. Tina: You know, you remind me of someone.
Ralphie Look-Alike: Yeah, who's that?
Mrs. Tina: Have you ever seen the movie "A Christmas Story"?
(whole class giggles)
Ralphie Look-Alike: Yes, and people tell me I look like Ralphie all the time. (Eye roll)
(class is still laughing)
For the most part, Ralphie took it all in stride as I questioned him about his striking resemblance to the boy who hates Lifeboy soap, and it was obvious that the class had heard this a million times before, too. I wish I could post a picture of him to the blog, but alas, that really wouldn't be ethical for me to walk into his class, snap a picture of him, then run off for the sake of the blog. But I did think about it.
On the same topic, I got a text-message from Winnie last night at 7:00, letting me know that "A Christmas Story" was on TNT. If you know my family, you know we have one main tradition at Christmas - watch this movie as many times as possible when it runs for 24 continuous hours, and see who can recite the most lines by heart. Even if we're not together, we make it a point to call (a lot) and send a quote through the phone. And there are so many great quotable lines from the movie! While Ralphie's lines are quite good ("Leave me alone, I'm thinking", and "Oh, Fudge - only I didn't say fudge, I said the f - dash - dash - dash word!"), and the Dad has some great zingers as well ("Fra-gile - it must be Italian!" and "This wine's not bad....it's not good, either."), the best lines have to go to little brother, Randy. How can you not laugh hysterically when he says, "I can't put my arms down!" or "Hey guys, wait up!", or even "Daddy's gonna kill Ralphie!". It's classic, I tell you. If you can believe it, Mitch had never seen this movie before we started dating. At first (and maybe even a little bit still now), he didn't like the movie. I know, it's appalling. After 9 Christmases together, it is finally growing on him.
The realization I came to yesterday after Winnie's text message - we don't have cable. So, not only do I not get to watch it at my house on Christmas morning as we open presents, but Mitch gently reminded me that his sister and her family (where we are spending Christmas day) do not have cable either. So.....if anyone needs a gift idea for me, "A Christmas Story" would be something that I could enjoy on Christmas, and every other day of the year!
-------------------------------
GOOD NEWS! I am now the proud owner of "A Christmas Story". No need to worry about not watching it anymore. Thanks Sal!
3 comments:
I own a leg lamp, lifebuoy soap, and a secret decoder ring...
Ha!! Tina, that is hilarious! I sent a text message to my sister and brother last night at 7:00 also telling them it was on!
"FRA-GI-LE...Must be Italian!"...one of my favorite quotes that I use every time I get a chance!
I forgot to tell you, the people who live two doors down have the leg lamp. Driving by slowly to see if it's lit up has replaced our childhood tradition of driving by the Krug house light display.
My favorite part: the kid stuck to the flag pole. Classic!
Post a Comment