Wednesday, September 9, 2009

"I'm So Confused...."

Becoming parents means learning a whole new set of habits:  sleeping habits, eating habits, showering habits...the list goes on and on.  I have adjusted to these new habits and routines fairly well and without much rough transition time.  Mitch on the other hand, is another story.  

Mitch has picked up a new habit that is quite interesting.  He has started to "sleep-think", as he calls it.  It's similar to sleep-walking, but he's not getting out of the bed.  He is convinced that the baby is in the bed with us at night, and tries to find it to take care of it.  For example, it was his turn to check on Gizmo as she was crying in the monitor.  Instead of getting out of bed, he started rubbing my bottom.  When I asked him what he was doing, he said he was "looking for the baby in the bed".  Laughter ensued, and he sleepily commented, "I'm so confused!"  He eventually got out of the bed to tend to Gizmo's needs.  

Another instance had Mitch sitting up in bed, searching for something.  When I asked what he was looking for, he said, "I'm looking for the pen!" (to write down her feeding in our log).  He was convinced that I had handed it to him, and that he had dropped it in the bed.  Keep in mind that the pen and log were in their normal spot in the nursery.  Again, he stated, "I'm so confused!", and fell back asleep.  

These types of incidents have not happened once, twice, or even three times.  It has happened many times since we brought Gizmo home.  And I'll have you know that we have never had her in the bed with us.  Ever.  So for him to think she's there is just pure comedy at 3am.  He remembers most of the episodes in the morning, believing that the crying in the monitor is triggering some sort of dream, and causing him to act them out in the bed.  

I wonder how long this habit will stay around.  While I enjoy the silliness in the wee hours of the morning, I think he really does panic that he's going to squish the baby!



6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am sure once Gizmo is sleeping through the night these silly night time comedy shows will end. We had a bassinet in our room for the first 2 1/2-3 months with both kids so I didn't have to go far for night time feedings. Fred would just roll over look at me and go back to bed. So at least Mitch is trying to help you out in his sleep.

The Mrs. said...

The General does crazy stuff like this all the time since we had the girls! Sorry to tell you it might not end any time soon.

Aunt Cathy said...

That's called sleep deprivation. He'll snap out of it. Enjoy the entertainment while it lasts though. Thinking about ya' Love you,

Moder said...

How was your weekend? Any ideas on Gizmo's first Halloween costume?

SouthCove said...

Off topic: I would like an updated list of "Things Tina must eat right now"!!! :)

Tina said...

SouthCove - I know I need to update that, actually remove it, since what I eat now is not that exciting. I can tell you, though, that I eat whatever I have time for between feedings and naps! This losing weight stuff with a kid shouldn't be too hard - there's never time to eat!