Monday, May 4, 2009

Baby Update: Week 25

Baby: According to "What to Expect", baby is over 9 inches long and weighs over 1 1/2 pounds.  Blood is forming, lungs are becoming more developed, and the nostrils are becoming unplugged.  Also, his vocal cords are functioning, so he will be able to hiccup.

Mom:  I'm completely off my schedule with our trip this past weekend, and am looking forward to getting back on track this week.  My ankle swelling is still an issue (and I'm sure will continue to be) and can feel the baby moving around like crazy, although his movement has been slowed down this past weekend (I'm hoping due to the traveling, and not because he baked in the sun too long).  See Dad section for more on that.  

Dad:  Mitch became very overprotective this weekend, and frankly, he's starting to freak me out. Thursday's sprint through O'Hare and the sitting on the place made me pretty sore on Friday, and he was convinced something was wrong.  I wasn't worried at all.  Then, we went to the beach on Saturday, and while I went back and forth from the sun to the shade to the water to cool off, I did fall asleep for a little while in the sun and woke up warm.  Mitch is afraid the baby might be hurt because of being in the sun too long (in addition to a little sunburn I may have).  I didn't think anything of it, but now I'm overanalyzing everything - is the baby moving enough?  Are his kicks different now?  Did I ruin the baby? 

Help, experienced moms - should we be worried?  Is Mitch justified?  Or is he being a normal, overprotective new daddy?  Everything I have found says that baby should be just fine.  

3 comments:

The Mrs. said...

What a good daddy Mitch is going to be. I'd say the jog through the airport was probably harmless. Pregnant woman run all the time (although I think their flat out crazy) so you should be fine. Things are going to start stretching (round ligament pain, anyone?) so you'll probably be experiencing body aches anyway.

As for the sun exposure, I had Shortcake in the middle of July and spent the last month and a half of my life premotherhood sunbathing in the backyard. I'm sure the neighbors loved that sight, but the point of that little story is that she turned out just fine.

Remember that as baby grows his movement will decrease because there's just not as much room to kick, spin, roll, and punch. There's some guideline like you feel some movement so many times in a certain time from (one movement every 30 minutes? I can't remember).

Try not to worry, but if you're really concerned a call to your doctor can always ease your fears.

pokmom said...

I'm sure everything is fine. remember i spent all summer with both Winnie and Katie in the sun and they turned out normal (?) remember with kate, i would dig a hole in the sand up at south willy,just to lay in on my stomach, it felt so good. maybe that does explain some things...anyway, i'm sure she will be more active now that you're home. and i'm sure she is not sunburnt!! how about her dad tho??

Mitch said...

The sunburn didn't bother me as much as the running through the airport and the soreness in the stomach the next day. That is scary for a first-time dad!

It's a known fact that Tina will get sunburned and not listen to me about putting on enough sunscreen and staying under the shade. It happens every vacation!