Thursday, April 16, 2009

The Reason I Teach

With the invention of Facebook, I have been able to keep in touch with several students that I have taught at MCHS.  One of my favorites that I keep in contact with is a girl named Jo.  A flute player and drum major, she was one of those kids that I could trust, that I counted on, that I had complete confidence in.  She is an amazing musician, an inspirational leader for her peers, and one of the most genuine, caring students I have ever worked with.  She would hang out in my office every day, asking what she could do to help me out, as she understood the incredible workload on my shoulders.  She brought me ice cream when I was having bad days.  She made paper chains to cover my office to count down to the end of her Senior year.  Jo is one of those special kids that has impacted my life, and I would be so lucky to ever have a kid like her.  

She recently posted a paper that she wrote for one of her college courses, and with her permission I am posting it here:

An America without Music
When you hear the word music what do you think of? Do you think of the songs you hear on the radio or your favorite band? Well, when I hear the word music I think of sitting in front of an audience in my high school gym playing a piece of music filled with eighth notes and sixteenth notes. It’s a song dedicated to the Columbine school shootings that brings tears to everyone’s eyes. It’s looking up to see your conductor with tears in her eyes because her band is playing a very moving piece. Music is a very powerful thing. It is a way to express yourself and connect with people. Where would America be without music? This is a problem that I don’t want to face, but with the economy the way it is, there is a risk of it.

Music is something that has always been a part of my life. Before I was involved in band, I would attend my older siblings’ band concerts and dream about the day I could be down there playing a flute in the band. In fourth grade I finally got my wish. I joined band and started learning how to play the flute. Looking back, I think of when I first started nearly ten years ago, and when the only song I could play was Hot Cross Buns. Now I can play a variety of songs, including my favorite and the most difficult, Abram’s Pursuit by David Holsinger. I listen to music differently than others. Instead of listening to the lyrics or the voice of the singer I listen to the background music. Sometimes I find myself humming the beat I hear coming from the rhythm section. Yet other times I think about what time signature is being played and conduct to it. I would say that I have a better respect for music, something band has taught me. 

Mrs. Tina, my high school band director had a positive effect on my life. She was always someone that I looked up to. She helped me with the music, learning scales, and all of the other things band directors do. Mrs. Tina had confidence in me as a flutist and a leader. She was a very dedicated to her job and would often stay after school to help students. Towards the end of my freshman year we were informed that the school was cutting some of the art and band teachers because they didn’t have money, and Mrs. Tina was one of them. I remember her last day, the empty wall in her office that used to be filled with pictures and crying because she was much more than a teacher to me. 

Lucky, she found another job in Florida teaching band. But you could see the toll it took on her and how stressful it had been. My junior year, while at drum major camp, I received the word that our band director resigned and Mrs. Tina was coming back to teach. Since the cut, the director was forced to do a job that two people always did. I was in my second year of being a drum major of the band and was in charge. Mrs. Tina trusted me with a lot of stuff and I wanted to help her in any way I could. I came in the summer before school started to help get things ready for marching band. During the school year I would often help her when I didn’t have class and stay after school too. She became more than just a teacher or someone I looked up to during my junior and senior years, she became a friend and someone I could count on. 

As the end of my senior year was approaching she told me that I was an outstanding musician and a wonderful leader. As I walked out that door for the last time I thought of the first time I met her four years ago; how she was someone I looked up to, and now as I walk out of the band room for the last time she is my friend. Last year she resigned for my high school to teach in Minnesota. I was very excited for her and glad she was doing what was right for her family. A few months ago, I received the news that she was expecting her first child. Not long after that we found out that she might be getting a “pink slip” from the school she was teaching at in Minnesota. I was so worried because it already happened to her once when she taught at my school. A few weeks later we found out that it was her that was going to be receiving her pink slip. It’s so hard to even explain how I feel about this, that they would give up such a wonderful and influential teacher. The future is unsure and it is very stressful for her, especially since she is expecting her first child in August. I am fully confident that she will make it through this tough time and everything will be fine. 

This is happening all over America. Schools are not receiving enough funding and are forced to cut teachers. The first place they look is music and arts because they are seen as less important as history or English. Mrs. Tina had a huge impact on my life, and there are thousands of music teachers that are in the same position as her. The government has money to bail out banks and large corporations, but not our schools? Where would everyone be without education? America needs to get its priorities straight, schools and music should be first on the agenda. I still find myself trying to picture life without music, but it’s nearly impossible.


Needless to say, I cried like a hormonal pregnant lady when I read this.  

Jo reminded me why, through all of the cuts and stress and tough times, I continue to teach.  Music communicates what words cannot, it brings people together for a common goal, and it can truly impact lives.  Jo is changed forever because of the experiences she had during her high school career.  I am so thankful to have been a part of that.  It's so easy to dismiss the fine arts, to think it's not important, and even easier to dismiss the impact that teachers can have on students. I think Jo's testimonial showcases what so many teachers do every day - go the extra mile for their students, not because we are seeking recognition or praise, but because we want to give the best we can to our students so that they may be better people for it.  This is such a rare occasion that a student would even acknowledge the positive impact a teacher has on their life, and that is why it is so special to me.  

I have always struggled with the decision I made about going back to MCHS.  It was taxing on my marriage, on my health, on my parents, and on my sanity.  It was by far the most difficult time of my entire life.  Jo's paper shows me that I absolutely made the right decision.  

Thanks, Jo.  Love ya.

2 comments:

The Mrs. said...

You're absolutely an amazing teacher. I didn't need to read Jo's paper to know that, but it's awesome to hear in her own words how you've made an impact in her life. You're doing great things for those lucky enough to have you as their music teacher!

Pokmom said...

You are not the only one in tears! what a moving tale! Something we already knew...Tina, you are such a talented teacher, not just of music but of life. We are so proud of you!!! We know you will be a fantastic mother too!!!!!!!