Baby: According to "What to Expect", the baby is actually quite unattractive, as he is currently sporting saggy, see-through skin, allowing all the bones, organs, and blood vessels to be seen. In the sixth month, the baby will double his weight to just over two pounds and slowly begin to put on fat to fill out his body. After a check-up this week, Dr. Fisher says that everything with the baby is going "perfectly". (She knows just what to say!)
Mom: During my check-up I learned that I have gained about 20 pounds since the start of the pregnancy, and I can certainly feel the effects - it's getting increasingly harder to move around, sleep, get out of the couch, climb stairs, push the vacuum, etc. Some days I feel great, while others I feel like staying in bed all day. I've noticed this week that I'm really starting to retain water. My feet and ankles have turned into chicken breast-looking things (to steal one of South Cove's references), all puffy and gross. I've taken to putting my feet up for about an hour once I come home from work, which is nice, and I'm trying to drink as much water as I can to combat the retention.
I also learned this week while shopping for some spring clothes that no shorts or capris look good on pregnant women who have put on 20 pounds and have swollen ankles and feet. When I wear comfy dresses, I feel as big as a barn. I'm not quite sure what I plan to wear all summer long, much less on our trip to Florida in a few weeks. I'd like to think I could just wear jeans, but I'm not kidding myself. Looks like I'll have to do a LOT more shopping to find something that I like.
Dad: Mitch is continuing to take good care of me - reminding me to take my vitamin, lifting things, doing the majority of the house cleaning. It's so great.
2 comments:
Chicken cutlets for feet? That's HAWT!
One of the advantages of being in the last months of pregnancy during the summer is that school is out so you don't have to worry as much about what to wear each day. My standard attire during June and July when I was pregnant with Shortcake was one of The General's t-shirts, a pair of comfy cotton shorts, and flip flops. I was not going to win any fashion awards but at least I was comfortable!
Do you remember how fat my ankles (cankles, actually) were that day I came to your house for a Pampered Chef party? By the time I got home from the hospital all the swelling was gone and I can remember just staring at my ankles (when I wasn't staring at my beautiful newborn) and thinking, "Damn! Those are some skinny ankles!". I'm sure you look great.
Mrs., you always know what to say to me to make me feel better.
Post a Comment