Wednesday, October 15, 2008

A Visit from the Morris Crew

Last Friday Mitch and I got our first overnight visitors in the new house - two good friends and former coworkers from MCHS, Cheese Boy and Zany.  We spent the weekend exploring the Twin Cities, as neither had been here before.  

Saturday we started our day at a local bar and grill, Coopers, where we got to know the bartender, Bev.  Bev has been working at Coopers for years, and is the typical I-don't-take-no-shit old lady bartender.  She's awesome.  At Coopers we enjoyed lunch and moments of the Illinois-Minnesota game.  Tough loss.

To cope with the loss, we drove south to Cannon Falls, a small picturesque town, complete with cute downtown and winery.  

Inside we tasted all that the winery has to offer, which was a lot.  I had tried the wine before this trip - one of my new coworkers lives in Cannon Falls and had given Mitch and I a bottle as a housewarming gift.  This was Cheese Boy's first experience with wine, and I think he liked eating the palate-cleansing oyster crackers more than the wine.  Zany just enjoyed meeting the locals.  

After a brief nap back at the ranch, we headed to Minneapolis for dinner and a stop at Brit's, the lawn-bowling place we had taken Winnie when she had visited.  Sadly, the lawn is closed for the winter. (That's right, winter.  It's almost winter here.)  We settled for drinks and pictures outside.


We spent the rest of the night playing Euchre (the girls totally smoked the boys!) and watching Cheese Boy eat cheese.  Seriously, I've  never seen anyone eat more cheese.

Sunday kept Mitch at home (he is still recovering from his successful bar exam) and the three of us at The Mall for some marathon shopping.  I think they were both impressed.  We had dinner at Cosetta's in St. Paul and then watched Cheese Boy eat MORE cheese while we played cards (and the girls killed the boys again).  

It was so great to see both Zany and Cheese Boy - they gave me the MCHS scoop, made me laugh, and gave me the opportunity to show of my hostess skills.  A new annual event was born!

No comments: