Tuesday, October 21, 2008

My First Reason to Hate Minnesota

Well, I'm sure by the title my mother is all ears now.  

Right as Mitch and I were moving out of our in-laws and into our new house, my Minnesota teaching license came in the mail.  For those who aren't in the education world, one must have a teaching license in order to work.  Usually, it's not a big deal to get one - you go to college, take some tests, student teach, and like magic, your certificate comes in the mail.  There are all kinds of certificates - K-5, K-8, 6-12, specialty, special ed - the list goes on and on.  In Illinois, they are labeled by Types - I hold a Type 10 certificate - special - and I am certified to teach K-12 music (band, choral, general music) as so deemed by my undergraduate program, the esteemed University of Illinois.  Typically, teaching certificates last 5 years, then you must re-certify them through coursework, master's degree, or other continuing education classes.

When one decides to move into a different state, one must become certified to teach in that state.  When we moved to Florida, I simply mailed the state my current license, transcripts, etc., and Wha-la! - my certificate appeared in the mail.  No muss, no fuss.  Certified to teach K-12 Music, just as in Illinois, for five years. 

However.....

When we decided we were moving to the northlands (which are getting progressively colder every day), I got online, researched the requirements to obtain my MN license, sent in the proper paperwork and my money to process, and figured they'd spit back a license.  Well, they mailed me one.  And I'm not happy.

My MN teaching license is listed as K-12.  OK, so far, so good.  I'm only certified to teach, though, instrumental music and classroom music.  No vocal music.  Which is what I'm teaching right now.  I should mention, too, that I've not only been certified to teach this before, but I've actually taught it.  So I'm not actually legal to be teaching what I am.  Great.

Next major issue:  this certificate is only a year-long certificate.  Why?  Because I have many other "requirements" I must meet to become certified again for next year.  Those requirements include:
  • taking a class to complete my "Minnesota human relations" requirement.
  • Taking the Pre-Professional Skills Test.
  • Taking the Principles of Learning and Teaching Test.
  • Taking the Subject Matter Test.
Have I mentioned that I took those tests eight years ago before I started teaching?  And passed them all?  

Oh yeah, and did I mention that I have a master's degree?!?!?!

AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, after really looking at this certificate and figuring that the state must have made a mistake, I calmly called the licensing office and talked to a very nice lady who helped me out and explained everything to me.  She told me that Illinois and Minnesota have no reciprocity between them when it comes to education, and that if I wanted to become certified in vocal music, I'd either have to take coursework (undergraduate, I'm sure) to become certified or petition with a portfolio proving I'm qualified to teach choir.  

Score one for the state.

She also told me that I indeed did have to take all of the tests again, as the ones they use here in MN are different than those in Illinois, and again, they have no reciprocity.

ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME!?!?!?!

And, that since I'm technically not legal to teach what I'm currently teaching, my district will have to petition to the state so that I can continue to teach while proving that I am working to become certified for next year.  

Now, she did tell me that she'd talk to her supervisor regarding my case, but that I'd most likely need to jump through the hoops.  

So.

This year, I'll be shelling out almost $200 to take tests that I've already taken and passed.  

I'll take classes (who knows how much that will cost) to become certified in something that I've been certified to teach for eight years.  

And don't forget about my "human relations" class, which will also cost me money.  Clearly, I don't know how to relate to humans in the classroom.  I've never done it before.

Oh, wait.  I have.  I've taught over 200 students each year for the last seven years.

Can you tell I am beyond pissed?  Because I am. 

Stupid Minnesota. 

I gotta go.  It's beer-thirty, and I need a drink.  Or seven.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm sure the NEA/AFT will totally step up to help you here...

The Mrs. said...

Isn't blogging great? The perfect release for all that pent up agression.

Sorry the State of Minnesota is being such a turd. But, if we're keeping it real, it's probably all Illinois' fault. Let's blame it on the governer. Down with Blago!