I am exhausted. Physically exhausted. I like to try to blame it on Gizmo, or the fact that the to-do list is never finished, or that I don't get to sit down and relax until after 10:00pm every night, or that we can't say no to home improvement projects that take months to finish. But the real reason I am exhausted?
This damn computer that I'm typing on. And the internet that I just can't quit.
Don't get me wrong, I love to blog. I know my family loves keeping dibs on what is going on in our lives. But I love the internet so much, that I can't just get up and go to bed.
Take yesterday, for example. Yesterday was spent at the lake, and we didn't get Gizmo to bed until after 8:00, which is really late for her. By the time I cleaned up from dinner and the dishes of the day, straightened up toys, did some cooking, and helped to install two doors, I finally sat down to spend some quality time with Mitch. We went into his office and spent easily an hour and a half on the internet - he on his IBM, me on my Mac. Facebook, blogging, e-mails, facebook again, check the bank account, facebook, feign shock when viewing my Discover bill, facebook, facebook, facebook......at one point I realized I had to go to the bathroom, but couldn't even bring myself to get up and go. Twice I said, "I'm going to go up to bed", and yet I still sat. After finally bringing myself to go upstairs, I watched two episodes of Friends, and turned the light off at 11:00pm, one hour later than when I claim I go to bed.
I can't keep this pattern up. I can't keep going to bed late and getting up early. I can't keep looking at my friends' kids pictures on Facebook. I have to go to bed. Early.
So I now declare that I am starting a new trend. I will be off the internet by 9:30pm every night. No excuses. I will be ready for bed every weeknight by 10:00pm, watch one episode of Friends, and turn my light off.
Mitch has also declared he will join my no-internet-after-9:30 pact. The only exemption is when doing homework or work-related business.
And now I gotta go, so I can get my Facebook stalking in before internet-lights-out.
2 comments:
Ah this made me smile....b/c I'm on the internet too...took a break from house cleaning! I blame my weight gain on facebook. Before I joined, I spent 45 min on our eliptical...now I spend it on facebook. Thanks FB!
JD in GC
The Internet and I are like secret lovers, with me throwing responsibility out the window if it means I can get just a moment alone with it. I just can't quit you, World Wide Web!
Post a Comment