Friday, July 16, 2010

History Repeats Itself

Yesterday Gizmo and I ran an errand to JoAnn Fabrics.  

You might think, "No big deal, what's so exciting about going to JoAnn Fabrics?".  But, yesterday I took one step closer to becoming my mother.  

As we walked through the doors, I realized that it was Gizmo's first trip to the store.  I was bringing my daughter along as I searched for the best fabric to upholster a chair in the living room.  It would most certainly take a good hour to peruse the fabrics, compare samples to a throw pillow I had brought along, and get samples cut to take home.

Oh, how I hated to go to JoAnn Fabrics as a kid.  I mean despised.  A shopping trip with Mom always meant a stop there.  And as my sisters and I groaned about going, she always said, "It'll just be a quick in-and-out".  And she always lied.  Not once can I remember going in for less than an hour, as sale items and extra discounts lured my mother in.  A kid can only look through pattern books for so long before they get bored.  Winnie hated it worse than I did, for she knew that when we went, there was most likely going to be a dress made for her that she would have to wear.  (She got sweet relief when Mom started making goose clothes.)

And now, yesterday, I took Gizmo, and said the same thing to her as we walked in - "We won't be too long.".  I'm happy to say that I was in the store for LESS than an hour (thanks to the lady who let me get my samples cut when she was in the middle of getting all of her fabric cut), but there were many tears and cries from Gizmo.  It was like she knew she had to hate the place.  

And a new cycle begins.  

4 comments:

pokmom said...

you just can't beat a great day with a trip to Jo-Ann fabrics!!! and i'm sure i've made trips in under 1 hour!!

Katie said...

First of all, Mom, you have NEVER been less than an hour. That's like saying there some dresses you made that Winnie didn't really hate to wear.

Second of all, Tina, you should be ashamed of yourself for putting Gizmo through that kind of torture! How could you do that after all we went through?

The Mrs. said...

There is not enough space on this comment section to list all the ways I have become like my mom. I can vividly remember the exact moment in my life when the transformation became complete. The bad news: it only gets worse as the number of kids you have multiplies and/or as they get older.

I'm here for you. We'll get through this together.

Anonymous said...

HILARIOUS! You girls crack me up. Those outfits/dresses along with all the matching accesories were adorable. I can't wait for Winnie's comment.
Oh, the Mrs. does a great job imitating Auntie M / Gramma Poke.