Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Hello Spring! and Other Healthy Things

I am cautiously optimistic that spring is here to stay.  The trees are budding, the grass is green, the sun stays up just a little bit longer each night, the rainstorms are plentiful....this time of year is why we Minnesotans can bear the long wintertime.  People are out and about walking dogs, working out, and just enjoying the weather.  

The weather inspires me to work out, knowing that capris, shorts, and (gasp!) swim suit weather will be here in just a few weeks.  Mitch and I have also booked an anniversary vacation to Las Vegas in June (which cannot come soon enough!), and we look forward to spending many long hours drinking margaritas around one of MGM Grand's seven pools.  I'd prefer not to be the fat, pale Midwesterner who's wearing the swim skirt so that she can hide her flabby belly and oversized thighs.  

Mitch and I have talked about learning to enjoy all that the Twin Cities have to offer in terms of parks, trails, and other outdoor adventures.  It's so easy for us to talk about wanting to do those things, but actually doing them.....that's another story.  We'd like to be healthier.  We'd like to be more active.  

So I took the first step this week - Mitch, Gizmo and I are going to participate in our first 5K on May 1st.  We'll most likely walk the entire thing (I don't plan on trying to run and push the stroller at the same time), but it's one symbolic step towards the lifestyle we'd like to live.  

And hopefully we'll be the toned, pale Midwesterners in Vegas.  

4 comments:

Aunt Cathy said...

Good for you guys! Make sure you take some Tylenol before those 5, is it miles? I've walked 3 miles a day since Monday and my shins are killing me. Where good shoes and HAVE FUN!

Aunt Cathy said...

DUH! Wear good shoes.

Pokmom said...

isn't a 5K 3.1 miles?? i thought i learned that on biggest looser...
good luck! I am so impressed!! hope you'll take turns pushing the stroller!..great arms exercises!

The Mrs. said...

Hot damn! Everybody's getting on the running bandwagon. Good for you, Mitch & Tina. Are you going to do like The Duffy's who have decided their new "thing" is running one 5K a month leading up to Harvest Days? The thirty something crowd could take over this year's 5K! I'm so proud of all my health conscious and ambitious friends. There's motivation in numbers, right? YOU CAN DO IT!