Warning! The following post may not be suitable for any reader who is uncomfortable with reading anything that may be discussed in a 7th grade health class.
1. She worked all day yesterday, and had the baby at 7:00 last night. I am in total awe of her. I also hope that I go that fast. (I don't think I'll be nearly as lucky)
2. I got to sub in health today again!
Since tomorrow is the last day of the trimester, the students had put together presentations that they gave today. Luckily, there was a grading rubric so I had no problems in grading their projects. They had nine choices for projects and had to choose three. I'll give you the highlights on what I saw in two classes today:
- One group created a board game based on the female reproductive system. If you went the wrong way on the board, you came to a dead end (i.e., that fallopian tube wasn't working).
- Another group created a "Go Fish" - style game where you had to find pairs of the male reproductive system. The cards didn't have words, but pictures of all of the male parts. For example, penis, vas deferens, testes....you get the idea.
- Several students created their own obituaries. The most interesting deaths? Mad cow disease and hit in the head with a hockey puck.
- A few kids presented about different STD's. They all giggled when they talked about how you could contract diseases like genital herpes. (7th graders should never use the words "oral" and "anal" in the same sentence. They can't do it without giggling.)
- Some of them wrote a newspaper column, similar to a "Dear Abby" article. For example, one girl wrote, "Dear Health Nut, I just switched from pads to tampons, but now have some weird symptoms, like rash and fever. What should I do?"
And maybe the best of all....
- Students made both the male and female reproductive systems out of food. I saw a uterus made out of M&Ms, a bladder made out of a Ding Dong (I thought these would have been better for the testes, but what do I know), plenty of urethras and fallopian tubes made of licorice, and a penis made out of a Fruit Roll-Up.
And if you're wondering, yes, they had to present this to the entire class. Out loud. Talking. Honestly, how they made it through without a lot of giggling is beyond me. I felt a little embarrassed at times!
Ah, how I love to sub....
6 comments:
I love it when you sub for the health class! While I imagine it would be difficult not to giggle sometimes (particularly during oral presentations...hee hee), what fun it must be to have a change of pace!
I always enjoyed talking about STD's and stuff when conducting group therapy during my practicum training- there was always some smart a** (or two) in the group who thought they knew everything and busting them out was such fun!
I think teaching health would be a hoot...
That's awesome. I'm seriously impressed you didn't just die laughing.
On a different note, how do I get cheap shots when the post is about health class and has nothing to do with me? Seriously. I will accept an apology only if you name your baby Kate :)
tell me, that food one...did they eat their project when they were finished?
glad your co-worker had that baby so fast--but remember, i need 7 hours to get there..so please take 71/2 hours please.
love love love the name Kate.....you are perfect now...but we have about 20 years of good horror stories that you have to live with!
I also love the name Kate. I suggested it (Katherine, actually)for one of the girls and The General gave me the canned family response: "You remember what your cousin was like as a baby, right?". If you look up the term "high maintanence baby" in the What to Expect series I think there's a photo of Kate pictured just under the heading.
You know we love you, Kate. Those years are hard to forget though!
Health Class wasn't like that in my day! We couldn't even say the word SEX. How did you keep from laughing? Auntie M
The Ding Dong's cracked me up!
In our discussions, Mitch and I also came up with a few other pieces of candy that the kids could have used as a penis - Blow Pops or Tootsie Roll Pops.
Post a Comment