Saturday, February 28, 2009

The Baby Name Foam Board Choosing Index

As some of you may know, Mitch and I like to make major decisions using a variety of elimination systems.  Taking a cue from the Ratings Percentage Index (RPI) and the Dick Vital Bald Dome Choosing Index (VBDCI), we originally devised the LSFBCI, or the Law School Foam Board Choosing Index.  We took two foam boards and wrote the pros of cons of every law school Mitch applied to.  Everything was color-coded, and there were such categories as "close to family", "cost", and "Indian mascot".  (Is it no surprise that we ended up at Florida State?  I think not.)  Whenever Mitch was rejected from a law school (which only happened a few times), we happily wrote obscenities across that specific school.  I know, mature.  Our friend Dr. Martin also helped us decide law schools by seeding the law schools a la March Madness style, then finding the winner.  Ironically, Florida State won that pool as well.  

In light of our impending bundle of joy, we have had to create the same choosing index for our baby's name, appropriately titled The Baby Name Foam Board Choosing Index (BNFBCI).  We have four columns - two for girls, two for boys.  Each gender has their own column for first and middle names and is color-coded for boys and girls.  

It is our hope that using this system will give us the best name for our baby.  Here are a few names we rejected from the board:

Boys:  
  • Thor (knocked out because our child will not have flowing locks and a hammer when coming out of the womb), 
  • Klaus and Helmut (too German) 
  • Marquis and Nathan (had a bad experience with these names!) 
  • Gomer (too Andy Griffith)
  • Ziggy (doesn't good with our last name) 
  • Moses (Boston's immediate suggestion)
  • Qusay.  Do we need a reason?  
Girls:  
  • Sophia (our former #1 seed knocked out in the first round due to popularity) 
  • Harmony, Melody, Cadence (Mitch thought these were great names for triplets) 
  • Adriana and Fabiola (yeech)
  • Gina (see movie "Forty Year Old Virgin" for pronunciation) 
  • Chastity (too much of a risk in case she becomes a stripper)
I invite the readers of Fifty Below Zero to help us in this quest by volunteering any baby names you find interesting.  Please don't just suggest your own name (General).  

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chelsey or Kelsey

Anonymous said...

Ok, I've got a list. Some of them just sound neat and others I liked because of their meaning. babynames.com is fun!

Boy Names:

1. Andrew Chase
2. Chase Andrew
3. Cayden
4. Henry David

Girl Names:

1. Camila or Camille
2. Claire
3. Isabella (although relatively popular)

Unisex Names:

1. Reagan or Regan
2. Devin

Personally, I think it's fun to have a longish name that gives you options. (It comes in handy as a kid when your full name is unusual or if people have trouble pronouncing it.) Good luck and keep us updated on which names are frontrunners!

The Mrs. said...

One of my favorite baby topics!

Girls: Olivia, Sophia/Sophie, Katherine, Grace, Isabella, Ava, Ella

Boys: Jacob, Lucas, Carter, Aidan, Andrew, Evan, Connor

I know all those names are high up on the popular names list, but I still like them. I'm partial to more "traditional" names (although none of those even came close to making the top three agreed upon names when I was pregnant).

Good luck - will we get to see the BNFBCI when it's all said and done?

Mitch said...

The BNFBCI will remain confidential throughout the pregnancy, but be sure to tune in on Selection Sunday to find out our final choice. That only applies if Tina delivers on a Sunday. It could be Selection Thursday, Tuesday, Saturday, etc.

Anonymous said...

How about Cookie? It's not a name you hear everyday!!
Mitch's sister called him Cookie for the first 6 months of his life!
It's a great name for a baseball player!!

Love, Jersey Girl

Anonymous said...

Boy

Jackson
Max
Benjamin

girl

Maddison
Addison
Anna
Grace

Anonymous said...

I like Molly--- no need for a boys name because it will be a girl.

Anonymous said...

I like Cooper - also Samantha or Samuel (Sam)

Shipley Crew Since 2002 said...

So, does that mean 'Chief' is still on the board?
I totally understand not being able to use some names...after teaching you end up with quite a list of names with bad connotations!
Mallory? Abigail? Blair?
Sven? :)
If you do use Andrew, you have to use Drew instead of Andy for the nickname b/c it sounds good your last name!
Max is good, too...would that be short for Maximilian?
I love Lucas...Mark made me take it off of our list, not that we are pregnant! It's a good thing now b/c he's leaving for Afganistan for a year :(