As I was getting ready this morning, I decided that it wasn't so bad as I've been making it out in my mind to be. And so I started reflecting on all of the things that I've done in my twenties - and it's been a lot.
- I've lived in three different states and moved (including college) eight times. I've also bought two houses.
- I was engaged, planned a wedding, and got married.
- I've taught in three different schools, covering all areas of music.
- I finished both my bachelor's and master's degrees.
- I'm now expecting our first child.
- I've become an expert party planner, thanks to Dad's birthday and Katie's wedding.
- I've become a stronger individual, more confident in myself.
Then I started thinking about the birthdays in my twenties. And I laughed. Most of them, I can remember, especially the college ones.
- For my 20th birthday, the Mrs. dutifully took me out on the town in Chambana with several other friends. She proceeded to get me completely intoxicated. I lost my ID that night, almost fell in the Boneyard creek and had a pretty severe hangover the next day. I'm not sure if I ever thanked you for that, Mrs. :)
- My 21st birthday was much more tame than my 20th. Mitch and I (we had just started dating) spent the night out in Champaign, and I believed we spent the evening at Legend's. My parents came down the next day, got to meet Mitch for the first time, and then we went and bought my first case of beer. Memories....
- My 22nd birthday was spent at a pep band game in Peoria. Student teaching really cramped my birthday style.
- Mitch and I were living in Glendale Heights for my 23rd birthday, and I think we went out to eat, which was quite a treat that year, since we were dirt-poor. I also think we got pretty sick after dinner, because we had eaten too much.
- We celebrated my 24th birthday at MCHS - Cin had made me a cardstock crown (it pays to have an art teacher as a friend!), which I wore around all day. It was awesome.
- I can't remember if it was my 24th or 25th birthday, but we had a band concert that day. #1 Rush Fan had brought me a bottle of "Red Truck" wine (he had a red truck that we would take to lunch; he called it his "Bitchmobile" because usually it was filled with other female coworkers) and completely embarrassed me during the concert. He and my mom had plotted together and they created these posters of old pictures of me growing up. Tragic. The crowd loved it. THEN Zan got the entire audience to sing. Totally embarrassing. It was completely sweet and thoughtful, though.
- I don't remember my 26th birthday. Must not have been very exciting.
- My 27th birthday might have been my favorite so far. I had the day off school, and I spent the entire day in my pajamas watching a Law & Order marathon. It was glorious. (Thanks, Mitch, for reminding me. How could I have forgotten THAT!)
- My 28th birthday was spent working....again. Conference band festival, all day and all night. Fun.
- I don't think we did anything too crazy for my 29th birthday - but I do remember that Mitch got me these super-awesome green rubber boots. I love those things.
Tomorrow will be a low-key event. Work, then home to take a nap, then out to dinner with Mitch's folks for steak. It was my only request. I might just take a grape juice box to pour into my wine glass at dinner. It's all about presentation, people.
I will admit, I'm sad to leave my twenties - they were good years, most of them. I'm afraid that I have to be a "real" adult now that I'll be 30, something that I just still can't believe I am. I'm REALLY not looking forward to the harassing phone calls that will begin from my family at 6:00am tomorrow morning. But I am looking forward to the birth of our baby in my thirties, and financial stability (someday), and making fun of my sisters when they turn 30.
Please don't call too early tomorrow, people. Tina needs her beauty sleep to keep those wrinkles from coming.
10 comments:
You know you won't be getting any calls from THIS family member at 6 am. ;)
And you're welcome for the great
20th birthday. I was so pumped to score an ID and was shocked when I saw it was yours! Of course being already 21 I guess I didn't really need a fake ID anyway.
I also helped you celebrated your 21st at Legends following your dinner with Mitch - you stopped by our apartment and I have a great picture of you getting the 21 stamp for the first time. I really got in the spirit of you being 21. I believe that was the night I stood on top of the table - wearing black bar pants and tank top in the middle of winter of course - and was nearly decapitated by the ceiling fan. So nice of that kind bouncer not to throw me out right then and there...
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TINA!!! Turning 30 practically necessitates a perusal of the past 10 years of your life- getting some perspective on all you've accomplished seems to make the transition easier. I've already started the process and should be ready when July comes. :)
At least, I hope so.
TubaLady informed me today that she will not be turning 30 this year...I think they call that denial (or wishful thinking).
Hope your birthday is great!
Happy Birthday, Tina! When I turned 30, I had the same thoughts...remembering when my mom turned 30 and thinking how she was "so old"! But, I thought, "well, turning 30 is better than then alternative...NOT TURNING 30!" The thinking got me through and I took 30 in stride!
Then, I turned 31. That really feels old.
So, Happy Birthday!
Happy Birthday, Tina! Welcome to Club 3-0!
Happy Birthday, Tina!
Don't forget IMEA weekends in Peoria and concerts on campus (oh, wait - those are MY memories!
I'm really proud of your accomplishments in your twenties and know you'll have even greater memories of this next decade. Thanks for sharing on your blog!
Mrs. Mo
(proud mother of Moder's Baton)
OMG, I can't believe you're 30. Seriously, you really are old.
But you're having a baby, so it doesn't matter :)
If you think you feel old now, how are you gonna feel when I turn 30?!?!
Mwu-hahhahahaha
Happy Birthday!
-Katie
Has anyone decorated your car and honked the horn yet? Have a good one! Auntie M
30 years...it seems like just yesterday!!! you were such a cute baby, all dimply and chubby cheeks!!!{at both ends} now you're having your own..i hope your 1st child will bring you as much joy and love as you have given me!! you are truly a precious gift from God!!!thank you for being my daughter!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY !!!!!!!!!
Happy Birthday Tina! I remember The Mrs calling me old when I woke up on my 30th birthday. I decided right then and there that "old" is fifteen years older than whatever I am. Stick with that and you'll be alright.
Happy Birthday!!!!
Post a Comment