Tuesday, January 6, 2009

I'm Joining the Craze

A few months ago at work, a coworker mentioned that she was reading the "Twilight" books.  I had noticed that ALL of the kids (well, especially girls) at school were carrying around one of the four books in the series written by Stephenie Meyer, and were frequently trying to sneak a read during class.  The coworker claimed that the books were absolutely incredible, and I thought she was crazy for reading adolescent-level books.

A month after this discussion, my neighbor brought over the first two books in the series and said I HAD to read them.  At first I wasn't planning on it, but eventually decided I'd start one just to see what all the hype was all about.  

And I didn't put the book down.  And then devoured the second book.

The "Twilight" books revolve around two central characters - Bella and Edward.  Bella is a seventeen-year-old girl who just moved to the town of Forks, where her sheriff father lives.  She feels she is a social outcast, but quickly makes friends in her new town.  She is intrigued by one student, Edward, who won't really talk to her.  Eventually she and Edward become a couple, and she learns that Edward is a vampire.  (But a friendly vampire!)  The book revolves around their adventures, or rather, misadventures, and the challenges they face because of Edward's non-human state.  

I am NOT a vampire person, and definitely don't enjoy reading or watching scary movies or books.  These books are not scary, nor are they "dumb" vampire books.  I absolutely love them, and feel totally wrapped up in Bella and Edward's lives.  That's what a good book is supposed to do, right?  

After reading the first two, I can completely understand why my middle school girls were beside themselves when "Twilight" came to the theatres last fall.  It was literally all they could talk about for two weeks straight.  

Today I acquired the third book in the series, "Eclipse".  Yesterday, as my sixth grade class and I discussed what we did on our holiday breaks, I (casually) let it slip that I had read the first two, but didn't have the third book.  Today, little Emily showed up with her copy that I could borrow.  (I even had a couple of kids offer to bring their copies in "just in case" Emily forgot to bring hers!)  Once my choir kids saw me with the book today, it's all they wanted to talk about.  I also have three kids willing to loan me their copy of the fourth book once I finish this one.  Kids are so great!

These books are completely intoxicating, and I can't wait to be under the spell of "Eclipse" for the next few days.  If you're not reading them, I suggest you try it.  And if you are, please, share with me your favorite parts!  

6 comments:

The Mrs. said...

I was going to post this very same thing this week. After we talked New Year's Eve I decided to look into the series. You were the fourth or fifth adult I knew reading (and loving) the books. I read the first book in a day and wanted to immediately run to buy the second book. I think Stephanie Meyers is like the V.C. Andrews (you certainly read "Flowers in Attic", right?!?) of today's youth. I'm about as anti-vampire as they come and I didn't even know about the series until the movie came out, but I'm hooked now. Don't go posting any spoilers - I need to catch up!

(BTW, I'm starting "Pillars of the Earth", but it's a LONG book. I don't think I can fully focus on it until I read all the Twilight books first.)

Anonymous said...

I was just talking to a friend at work and she said the same thing about these books! She said that her sisters were reading them and loved them (her sisters are 27 and 30 years old). I didn't really believe her, but now I will have to plan on reading them since I have heard so much about them in 2 days.

Anonymous said...

Your neighbor is COOL for bringing you these books! ;)

Anonymous said...

OMG...I spent my break reading all 4! My hubby kept making fun of me...but I also loved the books!! I wish there was a #5...I want to know what happens next!

I also totally thought it was nuts that kids were so into the books, and I'm not into the fantasy stuff at all--Harry Potter, etc. etc., but I was totally and completely hooked on reading these books, and am dying to go see the movie!

Enjoy!
JD in GC ;)

Tina said...

mrs - I heard "Pillars of the Earth" was fantastic!

Anonymous said...

Okay...I'm convinced. I just heard someone talking about these books and said they couldn't put them down. I looked at the review on Barnes and Noble and saw vampire love story and thought "Eh...vampires? No thanks!" But..it looks like plenty of "non-vampire people" really like the books. So...I will have to borrow them from Parker 1 when she buys them!