Yesterday at work I was feeling pretty crummy. This whole working-until-the-baby-pops-instead-of-napping-three-times-a-day thing sucks.
Anyway, my second graders had just come into class and they were sitting in a circle on the floor. Usually, I sit on the floor with them, but since I was feeling pretty bad, and since it takes me about two minutes to get up off the floor now anyway, I had pulled a chair into the circle to sit on. Immediately one of my students raises his hand, and the following conversation begins:
Student #1: Why are you sitting on a chair?
Me: Because I'm not feeling so well, and it's hard for me to get off the floor nowadays.
Student #1: Why?
Me: Because the baby is getting really big.
(It's here that I should probably mention that Helmette was incredibly active that day, and was squirming around like crazy during this conversation.)
Student #2, who is sitting right to my left: I just saw your shirt move!
All Students: Eyes zoom in on my ever-expanding belly.
Random Students now shouting out: I see, it too! Me too! I saw the shirt move! I saw the baby! Wow! Ew, gross!
(I should also probably mention that by the time the kids starting shouting out, Helmette had piped back down, and the kids saw nothing)
Me, pulling my sweater across my mid-section: Yep, pretty cool, huh? OK, let's move on to....
And luckily, the kids were able to focus once again after the promise of a game at the end of class if they worked hard that day.
No comments:
Post a Comment