Mitch and I have been looking to purchase a double stroller. Shudder. We were at Babies R Us this weekend getting a few odds and ends and tried the one we've been eyeing, the Chicco Cortina double stroller that would fit our infant car seat.
Babies R Us is currently running a special where if you bring in a piece of baby gear (high chair, stroller, car seat, etc.), you can get 25% off of a new purchase, which would make the cost of this ridiculously expensive stroller a little more manageable.
My question is this - how often did you use a single stroller (the one that you could put the infant seat into) after you had two kids? We currently have two strollers - one that came with our travel system that fits the infant seat, and an umbrella stroller. Could we do without our travel system stroller? Or would we regret trading it in?
4 comments:
I'm pretty sure I could not have traded in my travel system stroller. But, I also never had a double stroller (too big and bulky for me). Bubba had to walk after Monkey came along (they were 23 months apart)...or else someone else pushed him in the umbrella stroller...but mostly I think he walked. I'm a mean mom...
Good luck with that one! ;)
JD in GC
I thought the double stroller was an absolute necessity when Punkin arrived 21 months after Shortcake. We got one second hand from a friend of Poke's that was in good shape which saved us some money. I'm SO GLAD we didn't buy a brand new one because other than walks around town we never used it. It was heavy, bulky, and wouldn't fit in my trunk without some major wrestling so taking it with us anywhere really wasn't worth it. It was also a major pain to steer so getting through a mall would have been a nightmare with that thing. I will admit though that it was loved and appreciated for those walks for almost four years. Like JD, I pushed Punkin in the stroller and Shortcake either walked or rode in the umbrella stroller. I also put Shortcake in the stroller & Punkin in the baby carrier when she was really little. It took me awhile before I was brave enough to venture out with both girls by myself for long periods of time so there was usually someone with me to help out. Plus, Gizmo is younger than Shortcake was so having her walk might not be an option like it was for us. My friend, on the other hand, has girls two years apart and she used her double stroller almost exclusively for four years. She drives an SUV though so the trunk space wasn't an issue for her.
As far as the travel system, we used ours all of the time. It was the very last piece of baby equipment I held on to and was probably the hardest to let go. I had a major emotional attachment to that thing, and it never failed me. We were using it for trips to the mall with Punkin well past her third birthday and she could still ride in the stroller comfortably. There are times when I wish I could still put her in it. ;)
The 25% off is tempting, but I'd be reluctant to tell you to trade in your travel system going off my experience.
We have the Chicco Cortina Stroller and I do enjoy it though it is a pain to lift into our tahoe and we had to downsize diaper bags to fit it in the bottom (which is still a pain to get in and out of the basket underneath). But it has been great for walks though our giant boys seem to be out growing it pretty quick.
I still use the travel system if I have to take one child to the doctor by themself or if when we take a walk the other two kids want to go in the wagon.
Depending on how Gizmo is in the stroller she may decide she wants to walk and not want be pushed around anymore. I wouldn't get rid of the single stroller.
-Wilma
Okay, I haven-t checked in for a long time and low and behold there is a stroller discussion. Now you didn't ask for a grandma's opinions but here goes one anyway. I have always been enamored with strollers. I would have died without a double stroller for our first two grandchildren. Trips anyplace were so much easier. The one we have went to the zoo, the mall, the park etc.
Those little ones crash at the strangest times and need to ride along with the infant. If you don't want to use the carrier you can always lay the baby in the back section and she will be very comfortable. you can leave the carrier in the car with the base. They always suggest putting the carrier in the front section and that does make the navigating a bit more difficult. We have used ours a ton as have our daughter and son - in - law and wouldn't be without it. Do you have something else you could trade in instead of the travel system?
Just my two cents worth.
Love, Geebs
Post a Comment