Thursday, June 25, 2009

First the Plumbing, Now the Garage

Last night when I came home from teaching lessons, I walked into the house (just like always) and hit the button to close the garage door (just like always).  The garage door stopped just before it got to the ground.  As our garage door can be a bit finicky, I hit the button to continue it going down, and it didn't move.  It was then that I noticed the garage door was a little crooked in the tracks.  

Long story short - one of the cables broke on the garage door, causing the door to get stuck in the tracks, and it wouldn't budge.  Luckily, one of my (very nice) neighbors was outside watering flowers when he saw me struggling to figure out what the hell to do, and he came over to help.  We got one of the cars out of the garage, he went and grabbed another neighbor, and the two of them got the garage door down.  One of the tracks is pretty much destroyed, both cables now need replacing, and some brackets on the door (and quite possibly the door itself) will need to be repaired or replaced.  

On today's to-do list:  get some garage guys out here so they can tell me how much this disaster will cost.  I'm ready for Mitch to come home, as while I am Superwoman when it comes to home improvement (see today's later post), I'm sick of dealing with all of this stuff that's breaking!

No comments: