Take for example "The Children of the Corn". Are you kidding me? The years that corn surrounded our house were the worst ever. I was convinced someone was coming out of the field to get me. In fact, when I was in high school I would sprint from the shed (where my car was parked) to the front door every night so that no one could catch me. Let's be honest, though - I wasn't the fastest around - my year of track proved that. Had there been someone there, I would have been dead for sure. Even so, I ran like hell to get into the house because I was scared.
I also don't go into the bathroom without immediately turning on the light, for fear that I would look into the mirror and accidentally say "Candy Man" three times.
The worst for me, though, is "The Silence of the Lambs". I watched that movie for the first time in 7th grade, when I stayed over at my friend Mere's house. We watched it in the middle of the night in her very dark basement. I was literally frozen with fear, scared to death that Hannibal Lecter would eat me, or Buffalo Bill would starve me and kill me for my skin. I had nightmares for months after watching this movie. I don't think I've ever been more afraid of anything ever in my life. This movie has seriously traumatized me.
I saw "The Silence of the Lambs" on TV the other night as I was flipping through the channels. I stopped immediately on it, thinking that maybe I could now tolerate it and see it for the fictional movie that it is. Nope. Couldn't do it. It wasn't even at a gross or scary part - Buffalo Bill had just taken one of his girls and put her in the back of the van. That's it. I had to change the channel. I am literally getting chills just thinking about it.
To this day, I don't like scary movies. Won't watch them. I think the last one I watched was "The Blair Witch Project" in school to prove to a boy that I could handle it. What a terrible idea - I had to stay in my apartment that night alone (it was over a holiday break), and I didn't sleep a wink. I'm a wimp, what can I say.
What scares you?
4 comments:
Aliens. Squirrels. Centi- and millipedes. Crickets. Our crawl space. Walking by windows without curtains or shades at night. Punkin when she hasn't napped.
While I enjoy the thrill of being scared (either from a movie or haunted house but NOT in real life situations) I absolutely could not do those things alone.
(And thank you for the laugh thinking about you sprinting from the shed to the house. All I could think of was Carol Chen. Victory was yours that day!)
I remember watching "the birds" for the first time as a teenager...scared the crap right out of me and i still to this day highly dislike any crow type bird!!
When I was 12 or 13 Aunt Barb and I were watching a scary movie on HBO. Halloween maybe. She said part way thru that she was going to bed. In the den there was 1 position that allowed you to see all 3 doors and the windows. I was pressed into that corner watching the movie. Little did I know, Barb was around the corner watching and waiting. See, she had already seen it and knew what was going to happen. JUst at the right moment she jumped out. If someone was outside they would have thought I was being killed. After I put my heart back in my chest I started to plot my revenge.
How could I forget this one? When I was very young, 6 or 7, as I recall, the whole family went to see a movie in Morris. Not sure what it was called. All I remember is people coming out of the ground and killing people. From that point on I truly believed that the "undead" were living under our front porch and would grab me if I got to close to the railings. I had that nightmare for years. Thanks Mom and Dad, thank you very much.
Post a Comment