Friday, November 20, 2009

How are thee different? Oh, let me count the ways....

I have been teaching in an elementary building for over a month now, and to be honest, I'm finding the transition to the little ones a little difficult.  There are so many things that are different:
  • in middle or high school, you rarely have to worry about your students peeing their pants.
  • middle and high school students don't tattle; in fact, they do their very best to keep things hidden.  Not so much with little kids, who feel the need to tell you if little Johnny looked at them wrong.  (I can't stand this part of the job.)
  • they are so damn squirrelly.  Do they ever sit still?  Lots of times middle and high school students sit comatose through the entire class.  (Wow, after writing that, it makes it sound like I might not be an engaging teacher.  We all know that's not true.  :)
  • little ones must have VERY SPECIFIC instructions.  
  • along those same lines, kids can't just be told to do something.  They have to take turns.  I made the mistake of giving the following instructions:  1) go pick up a book from the stack, and 2) return to their seats.  In five seconds, there were 15 2nd graders on top of each other, fighting to get the first book.  
Not only are the kids different, but the entire building has a different vibe.  For example, the other day in the teacher's lounge at lunch, one of the first grade teachers was showing off her latest book to help kids read, and she was essentially teaching a lesson at the table.  There were so many teachers who were into it!  Today the other music teacher was spouting off songs for the staff to sing at the Christmas program, and everyone starting singing along to each song.  

Really?

My question is this - where is the bitching?  Where is the cynicism?  Why are we talking about our jobs at lunch?  Why aren't we complaining about kids?  I just don't understand why things must be all sunshine and roses all the time.  I'm a happy person, don't get me wrong.  But it's a little over-the-top for even my taste. 

Some days, I really miss being in a high school....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tina--That is why I still work at a middle school and high school! I hope you make it through the year =) Do you miss having "real" conversations with students too!? Whew, I feel for you--although I'm sure your kids think you are the greatest thing ever!!
--JD in GC

Anonymous said...

You are the greatest thing ever!!!

The Mrs. said...

Boy you have these kids pegged already. But you must be working in some kind of elementary school twilight zone - there's lots of bitching, cynicism, and complaining about kids at my school. It's great!