Tuesday, June 5, 2012

It Took a Long Time to Get This Post Up....

....but I think you'll find it entertaining, as you can ogle Winnie's cute baby belly.  (And anytime we can poke fun at Katie, well, it's worth it, yes?)

Katie, the girls and I headed south to Illinois a couple of weeks ago to celebrate Winnie and Sarah's soon-to-be bundle of joy.  This picture in the car on the way there sums up the entire driving portion of the weekend - "How long did you say I had to sit in this chair?"


Despite the fact that it was a long drive, the girls did OK (but I think Katie has sworn off having kids forever after a round-trip weekend with both of them).  The few days we were there were spent preparing for the shower, spending time with family, and laughing.

It's always great to see Winnie and Sarah, since we just don't get to visit with them as often as we'd like.  Winnie makes one good-looking pregnant girl!


Gizmo enjoyed being a helper at the shower.  As she gave Winnie and Sarah our gift, she said, "It's a glow worm, just like Gen's!"  There's nothing like the element of surprise.


In addition to the essentials that Winnie and Sarah received, there were plenty of cute and adorable girl outfits, and I have no doubt Sarah will have that baby on the pageant circuit in no time.


If the baby and the shower weren't enough, let me now dive into quite possibly the best Katie story in the last few years.


This cake is the one Katie ordered on Friday when we arrived.  She called the local grocery store, ordered the cake ("Winnie and Sarah? OK!"), and promptly went to pick it up on Saturday morning.  I got a panicked call from her about 20 minutes later, saying that they did not have the cake.  The store claimed they never took the order, and after she chewed everyone at the store out, they gave her two free ice cream cakes to take with her.

As she walked in the door of Mom and Dad's, she says to me, "I think I called the wrong store".  She, indeed, did call the local grocery store in the town twenty minutes away, and after calling to confirm that yes, they did have a cake for her there, she hurried off to pick up that cake and be back in the hour left before the shower.

Is it sad that I thought this was hilarious?  Because sometimes it is just fun to see Katie wrong.  Since she never is, you know.


Anyway, there was plenty of grandparent fun, as Gonzo learned to stick out her tongue and bond with her second cousins.




While I never enjoy the 9 hour drive with the girls, it's always nice to be home and see family.  Congrats Winnie and Sarah!

4 comments:

Cath said...

You look so cute preggers, Kim! Congrats!
Props to you & Katie, I don't know if I could handle two 9 hour drives with my girls yet. Holy wow. I was thinking a/b a family vaca for this summer recently and San Antonio & Florida came to mind, then I realized that's like a 15 + hr trip and started googling 'fun things to do in the midwest'.
-Cathy Grubbs
p.s. I enjoy your blog! some of your stories remind me of my girls being so close in age to yours :)

Grama JG said...

Boy does Gonzo look just like Gizmo in that one picture with Papa Pok sticking their tongues out!!
For a minute there I thought that it was Gizmo!! Deja vu all over again!!!
PS Tina is right...Winnie sure is one cute pregnant girl!!

Katie said...

Tina, I am happy I can always be here for your entertainment purposes.

Now your baby-sitting purposes, I'm not so sure about anymore......

:)

Anonymous said...

The gloves are coming off...sounds like it's getting ugly in the Northland!!!