Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Adventures in Cooking, Part Tres

My normally not-so-picky eater, Gizmo has of late decided she does not like vegetables.  What's a mom to do to encourage healthy eating?  Turn to Dora, of course.


Today's treat: Backpack's Salad Bundles.  In an effort to help her enjoy her veggies more, we went to the garden to pick the lettuce for the project, and after I got everything cleaned and prepped, we began the assembly.




I can't quite figure it out.  She loves picking recipes out of the book to make.  She loves the process of making them.  She even initially enjoys eating her creations, as evidenced by this picture:


Following that bite, she immediately said, "Yum!"  It wasn't long, though, before she had unrolled all of the wraps, made a neat pile of the lettuce, ate out the carrots, dipped her finger in the ranch cup to clean it out (at one point she asked for a spoon so she could get it all - she is such her mother's daughter), and asked for peanut butter and jelly.

Gonzo has also been increasingly picky.  She no longer eats strawberries or broccoli, two items she scarfed down as an infant.  She'll eat anything orange - cantaloupe, carrots, sweet potatoes.  Anything green is off limits.  She also won't eat regular potatoes in any form, except for french fries, of course.

Any ideas?  Is this a phase?  I did get both girls to gobble up linguine with pesto and chicken and fruit salad for dinner.

2 comments:

The Mrs. said...

It's a phase, although one that could last months or years. I learned that constantly putting it on their plate will eventually wear them down and they'll try it again someday. My approach changed from a battle of "You must eat this" to "I don't care if you eat this, but I'm not making you anything else" and it made a huge difference.

Anonymous said...

That's really smart advice, Mrs.!!