Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Adventures in Cooking, Part One

A few weeks ago, I ordered the "Dora and Diego" cookbook so that Gizmo and I could cook up some mean (and healthy) breakfasts, lunches, and dinners.  I let her choose the first item to create, and she picked Dora's Empanadas.  

In my opinion, this recipe was entirely too in-depth, as we had to cook the broccoli, grate carrots, then roll out dough, cut out circles, fill them with broccoli, carrot, and cheese, then fold over and seal.  Gizmo had a great time, as the rolling out of dough was her favorite part. 




After 12-15 minutes of impatient waiting, our final product was finished -


We had them for lunch with dipping sauce (Dora calls for salsa, but we only had sour cream - a much finer dipping sauce, I believe).  After all that work, here was Gizmo's reaction:


She was underwhelmed, and after one bite, she declared, "I don't like empanadas".  Gonzo, however, thought they were the greatest thing since her rice cereal earlier that morning:


Today's cooking adventure was much simpler - chocolate pudding with crushed up chocolate chip cookies and whipped cream on top.  Gizmo didn't have much trouble eating that for a snack today....

1 comment:

Grama JG said...

Everytime I see that sad "empanada face"...I laugh out loud!!! This is going to be one fun summer!!