Thursday, June 17, 2010

My First Trip To Target Field...I Will Now Retract All Of My Hatin'

While Boston and Katie were in the Northland to visit last weekend, we found time to take in a game at the new Target Field.  This was my first trip to the field, and while I was looking forward to a beautiful outdoor baseball game during the summer (it's what everyone has been so damn excited for for months!), I instead got to enjoy rainy, April-like conditions.  It sucked.  I missed the temperature control of the dome.  But, the field and entire stadium is very nice, and it did stop raining in the 5th inning.  I have no doubt that on a summer evening, this is the best place to be.

Despite the weather, the four of us managed to have a good time.  (Read:  drank enough overpriced beer to forget that it was raining.)



One of my favorite parts of the new field is the sign above center field of Minny and Paul, who shake hands and light up when a home run is hit.


Yeah, the Twins lost, and so they  never got to shake hands.  Boo.

The weather was just awful - while it stopped raining halfway through the game, it was cold and dreary - you couldn't even see the tops of the buildings in downtown Minneapolis.  But man, what a great view.


Our seats weren't too shabby either - we were in the second row right off of the third base line. We were so close, I could practically smell the Old Spice on the third base coach of the Braves.


While it was all fun, the best part of any ballpark experience (or any experience, for that matter) was the food.  Boston, Katie and I ate the obligatory hot dogs with grilled onion (they were quite good, but not as good as the Cell in Chicago), but Mitch decided to eat a cuban sandwich.



He clearly enjoyed it.

In the middle of the game, Boston decided to get nachos - he needed them to soak up the beer.  "Fun Boston" made an appearance at the game - so wonderful to see him again!


But by far the most entertaining part of the night was the consumption of cheese curds.  I was very excited to try the curds at the ballpark, and was even more excited to see that they come in a cute Leinie's canoe.


After I went to get mine, Katie decided that she wanted some, too.  She jealously sat as I enjoyed piece after piece of delicious fried cheese.


(Those jowels are produced by cheese curds from state fairs past.  Nice, I know.  Normally I would not post such a hideous picture of me, but Katie's face sums up the whining that she was doing about not having her own cheese curds.)


All gone!


(That look from Katie?  "Matt, you best get your ass up and get me some cheese curds now before I drink more $7 beers!) 

And this is how I felt after eating a whole boat of breaded cheese - 


Thankfully, Boston "got his ass up" and got Katie some cheese curds.  She still drank at least one more $7 beer.


We had a great time with Katie and Boston while they were in town.  I'll finally admit it - I enjoy spending time with my little sister now that she's all grown up.  The whining after I beat her in Clue the next night doesn't count.

3 comments:

The Mrs. said...

I would like two things this year for my birthday and/or Christmas:

1. A tri-fold frame of the second, third, and fourth pictures in the cheese curd series. I will hang it in a place of honor in my home and squeal with delight every time I walk by it.

2. A Twins game experience with Mitch, Tina, Boston, Katie, and The General. If you really love me Poke, Cari, Winnie & Sarah will also be in attendance. If you really REALLY love me, we'll do the Shout House to finish the night.

Looks like you had an awesome time. That Katie is kinda okay now that she's all grown up.

Katie said...

I had always wondered how long it would take me to be considered "all grown up". Apparently 25+ is the age.

Mrs - I'm up for a carpooling trip to MN whenever you are!

Moder said...

Your time at the game looked like it was great fun! Looking forward to Father's Day pictures of Mitch and adorable Gizmo.