Friday, February 19, 2010

A Little "Me" Time

A few weeks ago, Mitch asked me what I wanted for my birthday.  I told him, "All I want to do is sleep in, then go shopping ALL BY MYSELF, have lunch ALL BY MYSELF, and not have to worry about rushing home to feed Gizmo, or keep her on her schedule, or worry that something else needs to be done.  I just want to be BY MYSELF."  He was happy, because that meant no shopping required to buy me a gift.  

This morning, Mitch gave me the best present - minus the sleeping in part.  (I've forgiven him, because Gizmo gave me the present of sleeping in, and so I got up with her this morning.)  After everyone was showered and Gizmo was taking her first catnap of the day, I gave Mitch a kiss and drove away, armed with gift cards from Christmas and birthday cash burning a hole in my pocket.  

I headed to the Galleria (a fancy mall next to the normal mall) for a quick browse of their cool kid's store (even though it was MY day, I couldn't help but buy Gizmo these cool monkeys in a barrel), and then I went and had a desperately-needed manicure.  Thanks again to Mitch, who gave me "straight cash, homey!" for my manicure.  

After contemplating lunch decisions (mexican?  chinese?  sushi?), I headed to Cheesecake Factory for a chicken club & avocado sandwich and a tall mojito.  (No cheesecake - I couldn't completely blow my diet today.)  Afterwards, I hit the Southdale mall, where I proceeded to browse the Macy's shoe department casually (and bought a pair of shoes), spend my gift cards to Victoria's Secret (hello, new undies!), and take advantage of the Gap's incredible sales (a pair of pants, five shirts, and a sweatshirt for under $140?  Hell yes!).  

After a stop at Babies R Us, I headed to Mitch's parent's house, where the entire family was gathered for a delicious chicken parmesean birthday dinner and red velvet cupcakes for dessert.  
It's been one of the best birthdays yet, albeit much different than birthdays of years past, where the night consisted of entirely too much booze and partying.  I'm looking forward to going to bed at a reasonable time tonight, because my day of ME is over at 5am, when Gizmo wakes up....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

A belated Happy Birthday Tina!! Glad you had a wonderful day.

Love, Geebers

Jersey girl said...

Geebers,
You forgot to mention that your daughter, "NikDoc", shares Tina's birthday!!
Hope your BD dinner was a hit, too.
Love,
Grama JG

Anonymous said...

Your first day all to yourself after your first baby is so awesome! I remember "rocking" a case of Similac on my hip while waiting in the check out lane at Hornsby's when the Mrs. was a baby (that was my first day to myself) I bet every one in that lane knew I was a new Mommy and they had to smirk! Glad you had a great day! Auntie M.