Dear Alero,
Thank you for eight and a half great years of driving. I remember the day I drove you off the lot, just days before I began my teaching career in 2001. You were a brand new thing, less than 100 miles old and had that really great new car smell. The way we acquired you was quite shady, and it angers Mitch to this day, but you proved worthy of purchasing.
You drove me safely for years back and forth to Morris, and took care of Mitch when he was at Florida State. Nowadays you don't see the amount of driving that you used to, but I think your old, semi-rusted frame is thankful for the ten-minute commute you currently enjoy.
Only a few times did we need to take care of you when you were sick - a new windshield, new tires, and many oil changes and maintenance repairs. You never left us stranded on the side of the road or frustrated with your performance. (Well, except that one time you had a flat tire on the Monday morning of Homecoming week, but I've long forgotten about that.....)
I'm sorry to have to trade you in for a new model, but quite honestly, you were looking pretty sad. The striping on your windshield was coming off and flapping loudly in the wind, your ignition was finicky at best, your stereo labels had worn off, and your hot/cold air knob has been broken for years. You are starting to rust, have too many small dents and door-dings, and still have pine needles in the trunk from when I ordered a wreath from the baseball team years ago. You are too hard to get my new baby in and out of, and this is the real reason I am giving you up. It's time for a family car, and Alero, you are just not family-car material.
I feel only slightly guilty for giving you to the dealer today, as they gave us WAY more money than what you are really worth. But, I hope you live out the rest of your days happy and in one piece instead of being sold for parts. Who knows? Maybe you'll be able to go on an adventure to another country where someone else can love you. Or maybe you can be some teenager's first car. Whatever your destiny may be, you will forever remain in my heart as the first new car I ever bought.
I could say I'll miss you, but I won't, Alero. Good luck.
Love, Tina
1 comment:
Your description of "trade-in-car" sounds like my description of "brand-new-car". Only eight years old? Come on! She's just a baby.
Post a Comment