Our doctor is great - she is a very sweet lady who takes very good care of Gizmo and is patient enough to answer all of my new-parent questions. Gizmo is well-behaved and doesn't mind stripping down, getting on that scale (sixteen pounds today!) and being poked and prodded. In fact, today she cooed and tried to grab the stethescope from the doctor. The worst part, of course, were the shots.
Vaccinations. Yuck. I hate getting them, and I hate to watch Gizmo get them. But, I am not one of those granola-crunching, flower-skirt wearing hippy moms who believes vaccinations are giving our kids autism, so she's getting them. Today was her second round of vaccinations, and it gets worse every time she gets them. It's so hard as a parent to watch your happy infant go from smiling, to confusion, to sheer terror and pain. Four times. The tears streamed down her chubby cheeks as she looked at me, all the time thinking "Why would you do this to me?" Thank goodness she doesn't know what's going on before she gets them, because as we sat in the waiting room today you could hear the screams of the unhappy children getting their shots so that they can avoid getting polio or diptheria, whatever that is. The doctor's office is almost a torture chamber of sorts, kids filing in only to be stabbed with needles to keep them healthy. Poor kids.
I can remember as a child going to the doctor's office to get our regular school check-ups (and vaccinations) and vividly remember Winnie running around without pants on away from the doctor, she was so unhappy to get that shot in her butt. I dread the day Gizmo starts to do this. At least Gizmo has some cute Joe Cool band-aids to help her heal and some Baby Tylenol to keep the fever down.
By the way, Gizmo is in the 95% for her height and weight. Such an overachiever.
3 comments:
Doesn't surprise me to hear she's in the 95% for both, couldn't believe how big she was last week! Don't know how you go through those doctors visits, I want to drive up and save her from those shots just reading this!!!
I know how you feel. It stinks because at this age they always get multiple shots. The first one shocks them, the second one the tears start and the screams just get louder. Luckily we have a good pediatrician and the nurses have all the shots lined up and go boom boom boom through them.
-Wilma
Yes!!!! Vaccines don't cause autism!!! You are such an AWESOME Mom!!!
Also, damn she is a cute kid.
Post a Comment