This year I have a really weird schedule - I teach middle school band and choir in the morning, then drive to the elementary school to teach K-5 music. I know what you're thinking - "Tina, you've never taught elementary music before! You never student taught in elementary music, or even taken a single class to know how to teach it!". And you'd be right. Man, am I wishing I could change that now.
Over the course of the week, I:
- had two boys get in a fight (with one crying) because one accidentally knocked the other kid's Rhythm Bingo card out of his hand
- had a little kindergarten boy start to strip during class
- had several collisions during movement activities, which resulted in "he/she hit me!" complaints
- heard "he already had a turn!" more times than I can count
- practically lost my voice from singing so much
- lost control of 27 3rd graders, which is not a good thing
- learned that 4th graders have no self-control
- realized that all of my discipline and classroom management strategies no longer apply in elementary music
- already broke my "if it doesn't get done at school, it's not getting done" rule
It might be a long year, as I'm not sure I am cut out for this gig. The positive is that every day things were better and that I felt more confident in my teaching abilities. It also means that I will most likely have some great stories to share on the blog. It's no health class, but I have a feeling it might be entertaining!
Is it Thanksgiving break yet?
2 comments:
Tina,
I see by the time posted here that Gizmo probably didn't sleep thru the night for you!!
I hope she's giving you a break today!
See you tomorrow am.
Love, Grama JG
Hang in there, Tina. There's nothing quite like a year in the life of an elementary school educator. If it helps, you should know that I hear more about a twice-a-week music class than I do anything else from Shortcake's school tales. She loves her music teacher and the things they do in that class, and I'm sure your students feel the same way! Also, 5th graders are evil so consider yourself warned.
Post a Comment