Monday, September 8, 2008

Good on Planning.....

......poor on execution.  It's a theme I seem to have a problem getting out of.  I've discussed it a little on another blog I contribute to - Operation Gettin' Less Jiggly With It - which is a Biggest-Loser-style challenge I'm involved in.  However, it's not going so well.  Let me elaborate.

I find that I can plan and organize anything better than most people.  Plan dinners - plan an afternoon of fun - plan parties - plan on getting out of bed to go running - plan my lessons for school.  However, I am just not good at actually following through on these plans.  The hardest ones are the ones that take the most dedication and concentration - my work and my workouts. Here's an example:

On Friday, as I was finishing up at work to get out for the weekend, I made a list of all of the things that needed to be done this weekend so that I would be ready for class on Monday.  It's really not all that much, especially since I am teaching three classes, but because I'm doing them for the first time, it takes much more prep time and organizing.  I loaded up my bag, brought it home, and it promptly sat untouched until Sunday, when I finally decided that I needed to get it done, or else I would have nothing to teach today.  It's not that I didn't have any other opportunities to work - in fact, I had plenty of time on either Friday or Saturday to do it - but instead decided to watch a movie and be lazy instead.  I did get most of it done, in two sittings, but I wish I wouldn't have procrastinated - I might have enjoyed watching the Bears game last night more instead of multi-tasking with that and grading papers.  

Another example:  on same Friday, I had planned to get up in the morning before work and go for a run.  It would require me to wake up at 5:45ish, so I would have enough time to run, eat, shower, and make it to work on time.  It's not like it's that early, especially since I don't have to be at work until 8:30, and last year I was getting up at the same time every day to make it to work on time.  When I lay down at night for bed, I remind myself to not be a wimp, that I WANT to get up and work out so I won't be such a fatass.....but when that alarm goes off and I am cozy in bed and tired and the voice inside says, "You can work out later today...you have time", I stay in bed.  Now here's the kicker.  I get home from work (after bringing home my very full bag of work) to run, and think to myself, "The bathroom could really be cleaned, and the floor vacuumed", so I do that, and what do you know?  Suddenly it's dinnertime, I've found other things "more important" to do, and I can't be expected to run AFTER I eat, I'll get sick, right?  Of course. 

I do the same sort of thing with stupid stuff, too, like picking up dry cleaning - "I can do it another time" - picking up my shoes - "I'll get them when I walk back through the next time" - laundry - "I still have clean underwear left" - I could literally name a hundred things.  Why?  Why can't I just SUCK IT UP and motivate myself to do exactly what I want?  Why must that voice inside my head be SO LOUD that it talks me out of what I should do, even when I know it's wrong?  Is it just laziness?  How do I STOP being so damn lazy and do what I want?  Help!

3 comments:

The Mrs. said...

Seeing as how I could have written that post, I'm chalking it up to our DNA. And there's nothing we can do to change our DNA. Thus, we are allowed to continue to be lazy.

We'll blame Grama & Grapa since last I knew they still didn't have internet. =)

Anonymous said...

all right you two!!!!! DNA my ass...your dad gets up about 4 each day...and i'm about 5ish....so lame, lame lame-find a new excuse----if i do my ab-lounger and bike before work i have much more energy and feel my tummy muscles working harder for the rest of the day! so get moving,go go go i know you can do it!!!! (did that motivate you?)

The Mrs. said...

Who invited her to this pity party anyway? Pokmom is like the Susan Powter of Operation Less Jiggly. Stop the insanity!!!

But I still love ya!