Before I start, I should put the disclaimer that I love my job. I love the building, I love the people I work with, and the kids are really great. Most of the time. Today, however, I was ready to throw a few to the wolves. (Usually I would say I wanted to kill them, but I don't want it to be misinterpreted.) One cute boy in particular has been getting under my skin. Not that he's really a bad kid, or even malicious in his behavior - in fact, he's a great kid, one that I find hard to get mad at. And he, of course, knows this. He, like many other junior high students, lacks what I call a "filter" - that little voice inside your head that stops you from saying whatever is on your mind at any given moment, no matter what the situation may be. The lack of this filter is what drives me nuts. A few classics this week:
Me: blah blah blah music stuff
Kid: "Does anyone know what's for lunch?"
Me: blah blah blah music stuff
Kid: "Why are there blue dots on some of the lights in the ceiling?
Me: "If one more person interrupts me while I'm talking, you'll be removed from the room. Now, in this assignment that you just received....."
Kid: "What are we supposed to do with this piece of paper we just got?"
AAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!
At that point I lost my cool. The kid, cute as may be, spent the rest of the period sitting in the hall, once he figured out what he was supposed to do with that paper, of course. And, before I get any smart comments, I actually didn't say "blah blah music stuff" to the kids, prompting them to be bored. I just don't care to delve into the finer points of Josquin's contributions to the Renaissance musical scene on this blog. (No smart comments about being bored with that, either.)
The joys of teaching middle school.........
1 comment:
1. I also am quite familiar with students who lack a filter. Sometimes, in extreme circumstances, I refer to the phenomenon as diarrhea of the mouth. Disgusting visual, yes, but appropriately descriptive I think.
2. Our principal does a spotlight in our staff bulletin each year for new staff members. This week it was our new band/choir teacher's turn and when asked "What did you want to be in high school?" her answer was "Cool. But instead I joined band". I laughed and laughed at that answer and thought maybe you'd appreciate it, being a fellow band nerd and all. =)
Post a Comment