Thursday, September 4, 2008

From Trash to Treasure

Now that we've bought a house that is easily almost double the size of where we've been living lately, we need to buy more furniture, particularly for the three extra bedrooms we have.  We have my old twin bed from when I was a kid to put in one of the rooms, one of the rooms will be Mitch's office (we're hoping to not have to knock down walls to put his ridiculously-large-but-very-nice-and-functional desk in the room), and the last will be the guest room, with a table for my computer.  We've been looking through all of the typical catalogs - Pottery Barn, Crate & Barrel, Ikea - for furniture and decorating ideas.  But, all of the items in that catalog are REALLY expensive, and we aren't made of money, especially after the purchase of the house.  And we really do need to get a few things.

So, in the last few days, I've hit up every thrift and discount furniture store in the area searching for new pieces of furniture that would work in our house.  (Hey, I have to do something with my time when I leave work at 2!)  While I've found some nice things, and a LOT of crap, today I made my first thrift store purchase - a nightstand for the guest room.  I've never bought anything like this from a thrift store before, and quite frankly, I was a little surprised at the high price of furniture in the store.  I mean, most of it is ass-ugly.  I feel I got a fair deal nonetheless, and the ladies who sold me the piece were sweet, and wanted me to bring in pictures after I refinish it.   

My little nightstand is a very cute cream color with gold trim, with a shelf and a drawer, and cute little curved legs.  The shape of the piece is really nice, and I'm excited to try my hand at stripping and refinishing, just like the pros on HGTV.  How hard can it be, right?    

When we move into the house in a few weeks, we'll have a brand new piece of furniture for our guests to enjoy when they stay over.  Too bad we don't have a queen-sized bed to go in there, too!  First guest to visit gives us a bed for a housewarming gift?  Who's interested?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

"ridiculously-large"

What?

Anonymous said...

I love garage sales and thrift stores...Good Luck.The Mrs. has done refinishing so you can ask her if you questions. Auntie M.