Poor little Gizmo's had a rough go of things the last few weeks. She was enjoying life - playing, eating, napping, sleeping through the night, repeat - doesn't she look happy?
Then, she turned eight months old. Since then, she's had croup (which thankfully is better) and now she is teething.

Her schedule is totally gone. Nonexistent. Her usual 25 ounces of formula a day? Gone. She randomly decides when she will be compliant and drink from her bottle. Other times she will be stubborn enough to only drink from her sippy cup. Or drink nothing at all. Sometimes she eats rice cereal like she has never eaten before. Other times, it's like trying to shovel sand into her mouth and force her to eat it. She won't eat veggies, or anything, for that matter, that doesn't suit her.
Can we talk about the fact that she isn't sleeping through the night? Last night she was up at least six times, once for over an hour because every time I laid her down she screamed like someone was ripping her limbs off one by one. Tonight isn't looking very promising, either. Since she's been sick, she has been up a minimum of five times. She's congested when she lays down due to her teething. She won't take the pacifier. Or a teether.
And, worst of all? She's starting to MOVE around. She can roll from one end of the room to the other in no time flat. She's into everything that she isn't supposed to have. She loves throwing her toys and then grabbing a magazine, the remote, a DVD case....anything that is in her reach. Or just out of it. Or across the room. It won't be long now until she is crawling. She's slowly figuring it out.
Part of me is just mad that she is not a little, teeny-tiny, adorable baby anymore. Part of me is mad she's off her schedule. And a lot of me is mad that I can't control any of her pain, or really even do more to help her than offer Tylenol, Baby Orajel, and soothe her.
This picture sums it all up -
It was taken tonight when I was trying to feed Gizmo. She was hungry, but she pitched a HUGE fit, not wanting to eat anything, even though she needed to. She fought me like crazy, and I tried everything. She screamed through the whole sorry attempt at a feeding. Never has she been so covered in food. She looked so pathetic that I thought I would take her picture for blackmail later in life, and wouldn't you know that sneaky little kid was all smiles as soon as I turned the camera on. Damn, she's cute.
I have a feeling Mitch and I are in for a LONG 18 years......
3 comments:
It has just begun!! Happy Mother's Day!!!!!! hopefully soon she'll be all better and back on her schedule. can't wait to see her again!!!
Happy Mothers Day....Welcome to the club! Believe it or not you are STILL at the easy level! Nothing like busting your bubble! I am thinking she's has some "Katie" genes going on. Pokmom can tell some stories on that! It will get better. Just when you have it figured out she'll change again. She just so darn cute! Auntie M
Hang in there, and repeat this as needed: "This too shall pass". I have found, through my own experience and from friends, that children become extra difficult just before and immediately after their first birthday (and each subsequent birthday as well). I know that's not much consolation other than maybe helping you realize you're not alone.
I have no idea what advice to give about the hunger strike. My children, especially at that age, NEVER turned down a meal in either solid or liquid form.
As far as the teething, have you tried Baby Motrin? The General refers to it as "The Miracle Drug" for its healing powers.
I'm sending you and Mitch lots of virtual hugs and a couple of "get your act together, child" vibes for sweet, adorable Gizmo.
Post a Comment