Monday, March 8, 2010

Luckily, Only My Ego is Bruised (And my Knee, my Ankle....)

I am a clumsy person.  I know this comes as no surprise to you.  I trip over air.  I drop things like crazy.  I have never been described as "graceful".  Today I proved it.  Again.  Twice.

There I was, teaching my seventh grade choir class.  We had just finished working on one song and were transitioning to the next piece to rehearse when I went to hand something to a student across the room.  As I walked, my right foot (which was safely in my super-cute new black suede boot that is a flat) landed on the ground wrong (I guess?) and I rolled my ankle over, tripping and practically face-planting into the front row of altos.  Luckily, my kids were REALLY cool about the whole thing, asking first if I was OK, then snickering politely (I could tell they felt embarrassed for me, how sweet of them).  I played it off best I could (while fighting back tears - it really hurt!), used it as a lesson that we all make stupid mistakes and feel embarrassed, and went on teaching the class.  And thought nothing more of it.  

Fast forward to the end of the school day.  I had just finished rehearsing with one of my students, had packed up my things and was walking down the hallway on my way out of the building.  At the end of the hall by the door were two teachers and a student talking.  As I walk (who am I kidding, I was feeling good and was strutting) towards the door, I totally roll my ankle over AGAIN, but this time totally fall forward and face-plant onto the tile.  The trio of people look over, again politely ask if I am OK, and then laugh along with me.  I stand up, pick up all of my stuff, and again feel completely stupid and embarrassed.  Tripping in front of middle school kids?  Not a big deal.  Proving to my colleagues that I don't know how to walk?  Mortifying.  

I do have to admit, though, that today's incidents are nowhere near as embarrassing as the first year I was teaching at MCHS.  I had just bought a pair of super-cute black boots, although these ones had about a 3-inch heel.  (That was when I thought I needed to teach in heels - I have since come to my senses.)  I was walking down the senior hallway between lunch and the next period and there was some water on the floor from the students' shoes.  I hit a patch of water and fell flat on my ass right in the middle of the hallway.  Super-embarrassing.  Wanted to melt into the floor.

It must be a boots thing.  Or maybe just a Tina thing.  Either way, I've decided to self-medicate with wine and hope that things are better tomorrow.  

1 comment:

Jersey Girl said...

Ouch, Tina!!!
Been there...done that...hated it!!
If only it was a bruised ego...but no...you actually hurt other parts that you need!!!
Hope you're on solid ground today!!
Love, JG