Among the words said during my 50-minute stint: penis, testes, vas deferens, bladder, urethra, semen, sperm, gonads, testicles, public hair, and a few I can't remember.
Among the items put on the overhead: definitions to the previously-mentioned words and a diagram of the male reproductive system.
Some tidbits from the conversation:
Totally Serious Boy: "What is the difference between the testes and the testicles?"
Mrs. Tina: "Umm......(thinking)......I think the difference is that the testes produce, and the testicles housed. But don't quote me on that - ask your teacher tomorrow." (Embarrassed that she doesn't know the answer to that question)
------
Reading out loud in the book: "Some problems that one could encounter with the male reproductive system include trauma. Usually this is inflicted during sporting events."
Giggly Boy in the Corner: "Oh, that's not good!"
Reading aloud, continued: "This can be prevented by wearing a protective cup during athletic events."
Giggly Boy and his Giggly Friend: Nod understandingly.
------
Next Serious Boy: "What's the difference between sperm and semen?"
Immature Boy: "There's the same thing!"
Smart Girl: "No they're not!"
Mrs. Tina: "Well, the sperm makes up part of the semen."
Giggly Boy: "Yeah, the sperm are like the tadpoles, remember? With the really long tails." Giggle.
Mrs. Tina: "That's right!"
Immature Boy: "Oh yeah, there's like a million tadpoles in the semen!"
Class Laughs.
Mrs. Tina: "Be quiet, and get back to labeling your picture." (Looks at the clock to see that there are still 35 minutes of class left)
6 comments:
What sort of evil teacher calls in for a sub on sex ed day? That teacher owes you BIG TIME.
And how did you not laugh? Oh my God, I would have been dying. 50 minutes is entirely too long to talk about penises unless you're in the company of your girl friends with beers in hand.
Also, why does the word "gonads" make me giggle like, well, a 7th grade boy?
Yet another reason I'll stick to the elementary school...
We can have a private 'tutor' session to bring you up to speed on some of these things, if need be.
I remember that day when I was in 7th grade... I believe I sang the "Scrotum Song" from the Pete & Wayne CD (that group that sang in Key West/Florida area). I don't know WHAT that teacher was thinking...
You still like junior high?
Oooh...I feel your pain! I had to teach sex education to a group of kids with learning disabilities once...ages 18-21. That proved to be very interesting....
And, did you intentionally type "public hair" instead of "pubic hair"?! Nice typo!
Public! That reminds me of a couple years ago in law school, when they published the next semester's class schedule. One of the classes was supposed to be "Public Finance" but the schedule said "Pubic Finance". I alerted the professor immediately and they fixed it. That would have been quite the class...
Oh my! Thanks, Parker, for pointing out the typo - I didn't notice! That certainly would have been a much more interesting class.....it shows how often I type "pubic"!
Post a Comment