Monday, November 3, 2008

On my Soapbox for Just a Moment....

Today after work I spent some time making phone calls for my new school district.  See, tomorrow on the ballot they are asking for a renewal of the current tax levy, which would provide the district the money to operate as they have been for the last ten years.  It's not an increase (which they tried the last time and didn't pass), and won't raise anyone's taxes.  Yet people are trying to vote this down so that their taxes decrease.  They argue that since the economy is so terrible they want to save as much money as they can.  

If the tax levy doesn't pass, it means that the school district will lose $2.7 million a year,  which means cuts in sports, transportation, programs, and teachers.  

I can't imagine why anyone would NOT support their school referendums!  A school is the heart of towns, especially smaller towns like the one I work in.  Where is the town on Friday nights in the fall?  At a high school football game.  Who marches in local parades?  School bands.  Who donates countless hours of community service?  School groups.  And the list goes on and on.  Money for schools is an investment in the future of the town and in society.  We do a disservice to our kids when they don't have proper, updated materials, updated technology, and are in incredibly large classrooms.  

And while I'm certainly worried about how the students will suffer if the referendum doesn't pass, I'm also worried about my own job.  If the referendum doesn't pass, most likely there will be faculty cuts, and they always start with the subject matters that aren't "important", like the fine arts.  And, as I'm low man on the totem pole (again), I'll be the first to get the ax.  

So, when you vote tomorrow, make sure you vote "yes" for things that will improve your community, like school referendums.  You owe it to the kids.  

And now I step off my box.  

6 comments:

Unknown said...

America spends more money per student than any other industrialized country in the world and continues to have worsening results with a failing primary and elementary school system. Head start kids are no better off 5 years out than kids who don't have head start. So, how is more money the answer?

The Mrs. said...

You know I would have voted yes!

Tina said...

My district was not asking for more money, but simply to renew the levy that the taxpayers had agreed on ten years ago, which means that their property taxes would not change at all.

And the levy passed by a fairly large margin.

Unknown said...

My question to you - what did the school district do to put forth to the taxpayers that they deserved a continuation of the levy? OTHER than hiring you, of course...

AND, you still didn't answer my bigger overall question...

Tina said...

Martin, I think we'll find our answer to your question over a bottle of tequila. Maybe the answer's in the bottom of the bottle!

The Mrs. said...

Good news, Tina. Looks like all those phone calls paid off!