Saturday, December 11, 2010

A Marshmallow World

Mitch and I had planned to do our Christmas shopping today. We had secured Al to come babysit Gizmo and were excited to spend a few hours on the town and go to lunch. But, on Friday the weatherman predicted a whopper of a blizzard to hit the Twin Cities, and so plans changed. I ran to the grocery store last night with the rest of our town (it was by far the busiest I have ever seen it - even busier than the day before Thanksgiving!), and we hunkered down for a long, snowy winter day in the house.

This morning the weatherman was correct - we had about seven inches on the ground by 7am. It blew and drifted, creating a drift of about 40 inches at the end of our driveway when Mitch went out to snowblow at 3pm. In total, we've received about 15 inches. Everything was canceled here - EVERYTHING. Interstates were closed. The mail didn't come. They had 220 snow plows working in the metro area alone. At one point they pulled the plows off the road because it was too dangerous for them to be out. The Mall of America closed early. The airport was shut down for hours.

It was truly wonderful. I took some great pictures that I will post tomorrow (as it is a real pain to download them to my broken Mac, then save and import them into this dreadful PC). Mitch, Gizmo and I had a great day indoors playing, cooking, listening to Christmas music, and watching the fire in our fireplace all day. I worked on holiday gifts (any day that I get to use my glue gun is a good one!), and am now sitting down to watch "A Christmas Story" with my cup of hot chocolate and banana bread.

My only complaint about the day and the blizzard? The fact that it wasn't a weekday. I could have really used a snow day. Maybe next time....

1 comment:

The Mrs. said...

Minnesota doesn't mess around. The General didn't seem all that impressed with your weather scenario until I read him the line about the mail not being delivered. I mean, that's a snowstorm FOR REALZ. Glad you're safe and comfortable at home!