Friday, December 24, 2010

The Magic of Christmas is Alive and Well

As kids, Mitch and I had great Christmases. Each of our families had their own traditions: Mitch's family would set out cookie tins by the fireplace so that Santa could fill them with treats, and they had their own personal Christmas trees in their bedrooms where Santa would leave little presents (books, games, etc.) that they could open and play with as soon as they woke up. My family would wake up at the crack of dawn, look at the tree but NOT step onto the carpeting of the living room, then have a breakfast of cinnamon rolls and open presents, followed by a mad rush to get everyone ready and at Grama and Grapa's by lunchtime.

Last year we spent Christmas at my parents house, and since Gizmo was so small we really didn't buy her anything. In fact, we took the money we would have spent on her and spent it on the Adopt-a-Family at my school.

This year is a different story, as Gizmo is very aware of our Christmas tree, the presents under it, and the fact that Santa is coming tonight. Mitch and I started our wrapping festivities last night and will finish shortly after posting this blog. Mitch has already become his father and declared that we have bought too much stuff. The joy of wrapping gifts has now officially become a job, as I have never wrapped so many things in my entire life. The last two days have been filled with errands, cooking, wrapping, and general preparing for the next week. I am exhausted. And completely filled with the Christmas spirit.

This will be our first Christmas together in our own house, Mitch, Gizmo and I, the first of many together. We are incorporating many traditions from both of our families - the cookie tins are filled, the cinnamon rolls are ready for the oven - and look forward to finding some of our own traditions. The magic of Santa and the entire season is almost overwhelming, as I am emotional just writing this post. (Those damn pregnancy hormones!) I can't wait for Gizmo to wake up (at a decent hour) tomorrow morning and see her face as she marvels at the sight of the tree, the stockings, and the presents.

May you and your family have a very Merry Christmas.

1 comment:

The Mrs. said...

Merry Christmas to you, Tina, Mitch & Gizmo. One of my greatest joys as a mom is continuing old and creating new Christmas traditions for our little family of four. There is nothing like experiencing the magic of Christmas all over again through your own children.