Tuesday, September 21, 2010

An Elementary Faux-Pas

My afternoon was going great today.  My classes were well-behaved, my students were having fun, and I was generally enjoying my job.  My third grade class left, and I took a quick peek out the door to see if my fourth grade class was waiting.  I didn't see them, so I went back into my room to get a few things ready.  

I then hear two girls come to my door - "Mrs. Tina, are you ready for us?"  I couldn't believe it - my class was outside ready to go, but they were so quiet - unheard of in an elementary building - that I didn't even know they were there.  I walked outside to see the entire class standing perfectly quiet and still, and the teacher beaming with pride.  

"I can't believe you are so quiet!  Way to do you jobs!", I compliment my fourth graders.  This particular group has been fantastic so far this year, a welcome change for their teacher, who had some real hellraisers last year.  

The teacher says something complimentary about the students to me.  I don't really remember how it all led up to what I said, but as I respond to the teacher, I said it.  

The word.

The S-dash-dash-dash-dash-dash word.  

Shut up.  

Now, I didn't tell the kids to shut up.  I didn't tell the teacher to shut up.  I said it in a very complimentary, Stacey-London-on-What-Not-To-Wear, "shut-up!"  way.  

You should have seen the looks on those kids faces when I said it.  The teacher's face said it all.  I might as well have dropped the f-bomb for the looks I got.  The teacher, of course, found this very hilarious, and I had to apologize and explain to the kids what I meant.  And in the end, they were entertained and amused by all of this.  

I'm sure my students will go home tonight and when asked how their day at school was, will lead with that story.  

2 comments:

The Mrs. said...

That is awesome.

Munchkin said...

this post made me oddly happy