Saturday, December 15, 2012

And THIS is Why I Love My Husband

A few weeks ago, Mitch had told me that he had booked massages for us and arranged Katie to come out and sit with the girls so we could have a night out.  Shocked and excited, I anxiously looked forward to Date Night, as we had not been out for a very long time.  I had lots of questions - what else would we do?  where would we eat?  how late would we stay out? - but Mitch was not very forthcoming with any details.  It was a surprise, he said, and so I just had to wait.

Yesterday, after my marathon week of concerts at school, I came home, scribbled some last-minute notes to Katie for the girls, and walked out the door.  Mitch had picked up Katie at work since she and Boston share a car, and so as we pulled out of the driveway I asked Mitch if Katie was just staying the night so that we would not have to drive her into Minneapolis at a late hour.  To my surprise, he said yes, and that we had a room booked at Hotel Ivy in Minneapolis for the evening.  Mitch not only booked a beautiful room right in downtown and arranged massages in the spa at the hotel, but had packed my bag (he had never done that before) and taken care of every detail for the girls.  Changed the sheets for Katie?  Done.  Made pancakes for the girls for Saturday morning breakfast?  Done.  Packed all of my makeup, which was in several places in the bathroom?  Done and done.

I was completely overwhelmed with love for my husband.  In our crazy, busy life, where most of our lives focus on our work and the girls, it was so nice for us to have a night to focus on ourselves and give attention to our own relationship.  And I was completely surprised, as Mitch has never done anything like this before.

I can't decide what I liked the best from our night out - dinner out at Hell's Kitchen, where there was a jazz group performing, or the massage, or the champagne we had in the room, or ordering room service for breakfast and lounging in the hotel robes and drinking coffee while watching the news.  I think I just liked being with Mitch.

Thanks, honey.  I am so lucky that we have each other.

1 comment:

Pokmom said...

that is just so sweet...glad you had such a good time!